Please Help Me Select Dive Operators for the Goliath Grouper Aggregation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Manuel Sam

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I've searched and read up on some of the past postings on the subject of the Goliath Grouper Aggregation. As best as I can tell from what I've read, the aggregations occur up and down the coast of Palm County, from Boynton Beach up to Jupiter, give or take a little bit each way. So my questions are as follows:

1. If I plan to dive for a week, and wish to maximize my chances of seeing let's say, 40 or more Goliath Groupers, would it be prudent to try a couple of days in Boynton Beach, maybe a couple of days out of West Palm Beach, and a couple out of Jupiter? I would probably be based in West Palm and drive up and down.

2. I know that there are many dive operations that offer charters, but so far, the only one that I have read about which caters to smaller groups (6 divers or less) is Underwater Explorers out of Boynton Beach. Any others that you would recommend which cater to smaller groups?

3. If there are no other operations that cater to smaller groups, which dive operators would you recommend?

Thanks.

Manuel

I'd wait till the smoke clears from the Corona fall out before I booked anything.

Underwater Explorers is my usual go-to operation in Boynton. Can’t go wrong with Capt. Kevin, and as you’ve already noted, he’s running the only 6 pack that I’m aware of out of Boynton. For years, the Castor wreck has been my most reliable dive site there for Goliath encounters, but the bow of the wreck was torn up during a hurricane a few years ago, and is no longer the spectacular photogenic background that it was.

Out of WPB, there are a number of solid operators including Pura Vida, Walkers, and Calypso. I’ve enjoyed rewarding dives with all of them, and the recently scuttled Anna Cecelia wreck has been a particularly bountiful site during the aggregation for the past few seasons. Reef drifts have been a mixed bag: some spectacular and others less rewarding. There’s Narcosis Dive Charters as well, but I don’t recall ever using them myself, so cannot make a personal recommendation.

In Jupiter the usual suspects, Jupiter Dive Center and Kyalami provide efficient, courteous, professional service. The Wreck Trek and MG111 sites are fairly large, and though these operator’s boats carry a lot of divers, being patient may serve you well as the divers eventually spread out over a wide area, allowing for some more intimate, less crowded Goliath viewing and photographic opportunities.

I wouldn’t be in any great rush to make reservations quite yet. Unless you’re traveling with a group, you can usually find a space or two for weekday trips a few weeks or a month in advance.

Are you kidding?
Not at all. We just lost the Pompano Dive Center, and that was in best of times. Spring Break is a time when hotels big and small do a big business. This season theme parks in Orlando are closed. Dive ops will no doubt suffer as well as most of Florida's travel and tourism industry. Whether or not it will force any out of business, no one knows but I do know many operate on narrow margins. I just wouldn't be sending anyone any money in advance.

... So my questions are as follows:
l
You forgot one question..............
4. What are the peak weeks of Hurricanes in Florida and why do they align with the peak of GG season and 3 day holidays ?

I'd wait till the smoke clears from the Corona fall out before I booked anything.

I'd argue the contrary and say that if you can, and you feel it is safe to do so, to patronize your favorite dive operation in S. Florida. God knows they need the business. It might make the difference between them staying open to serve the local diving community and them closing their doors.

I'd argue the contrary and say that if you can, and you feel it is safe to do so, to patronize your favorite dive operation in S. Florida. God knows they need the business. It might make the difference between them staying open to serve the local diving community and them closing their doors.
For many, it's not a question of patronizing dive ops to help support them. In S. Florida the travel and tourism business is taking a tremendous hit and it will be getting worse before it gets better as the effects trickle down throughout the economy. It will be at least serveral months before things normalize.

For many, it's not a question of patronizing dive ops to help support them. In S. Florida the travel and tourism business is taking a tremendous hit and it will be getting worse before it gets better as the effects trickle down throughout the economy. It will be at least serveral months before things normalize.

I get your point. I'd be hesitant to make any sort of trip or reservation deposit too. In fact, I have a looming payment for a Komodo liveaboard in July that I'm worried about.

The flip side is that since tourism is down, if the shop is running boats then you can reasonably assume you'll get one on if you show up the morning of, hence no need to pay to reserve.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom