Please fix "Quick Navigation"!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

highdesert

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
OK ... that's a misnomer ... it should just be called "Navigation" because there is nothing whatsoever quick about it. In the old Scubaboard, the "Forum Jump" was by far the fastest way around the site. When you opened it, it opened on the page you currently had loaded. With a little familiarity, you could get to your next page quickly. It was my exclusive means for getting around the site.

In the replacement, Quick Navigation always opens at the top, regardless of what page you're on. It is not the proper width, so you only get a piece of the title of each page. You have to scroll from the top to hunt for your next page every time, then we all know the drill ... wait a loooong time for you page to load.

Really ... can this be improved? This is just incredibly dysfunctional.

Bruce, in your browser, isn't there a Quick Navigation dropdown menu right at the bottom of the message window, under the shaded line that includes "Edit Post" "Reply" and "Reply with Quote"? It's above the Quick Reply field, at least in my browser, where it shows as a light grey "Quick Navigation" title and a menu box next to it.

Hi Marcia - It's there, and I use it, but it's simply nowhere near as efficient as the "Forum Jump" in the previous version. As I said, the earlier version would open displaying the user's current page, rather than always opening at the top as it does now. So it's "click click click click" to get to a page that might be next to the one I'm currently on. If it can't be fixed to open on the current page, and widened to display the whole page title, it would almost be more useful if it opened as a drop-down showing the whole site at once; then one could go straight to their desired destination. People have suggested saving a group of tabs of favorite pages, viewing one while another loads, etc, but those are really user work-arounds to deal with shortcomings of the site as it is today. Other than server speed/capacity, Scubaboard was easier to navigate when I joined in 2003, IMHO. That's not really progress or improvement.

Edit: BTW, it took 35 seconds for this reply to you to post ... no problems on other sites right now.

There are little inconveniences, and I'm sure that whatever can be ironed out will be, in time. My own pet peeve with the upgrade is when I'm trying to merge two threads and the list to choose from is just one long undifferentiated list without even the indentations that are present in the Quick Nav dropdown. Maybe that's why I find the Quick Nav okay--because it could be a lot worse!

I have been searching for a positive suggestion, but not being a computer junkie, I really have none. Then it occurred to me ... if the Quick Navigation button could be moved to the top of the page, and then made to open the length of the page, it would display most of the contents of the Board! If there is no proper fix, that would at least be a help.

Several of the other .vB 4.x forums that I read have it at the bottom so I'm assuming it's hard-coded into the software and can't be moved. Explains the Top button next to the Quick Nav window.

Quick Nav resizes the same way on Scubatoys and Dive Matrix so I'm not sure if it's possible to set it to a fixed width.

Theirs also starts at the top of the forum list every time so I suspect that's hard-coded as well.

If I find anything to the contrary in the .vB manual I'll post it here.

Last edited:
Theirs also starts at the top of the forum list every time so I suspect that's hard-coded as well. If I find anything to the contrary in the .vB manual I'll post it here.

Thanks for the response! Don't you just love it when something that works well takes an evolutionary step backwards for no apparent good reason? :shakehead:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom