PLB Programming

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaWarden

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just for information on here in case anyone has to go through the same monkey-chase, with no information on the internet. I brought my PLB from Canada here, so it had a different serial number. The Singapore authorities (Aviation guys), were very fast in responding to my email (~1hr), but the PLB can only register in Singapore if there is a Singapore serial number. And after registering you also have to register it with the IDA (Infocomm Authority), most likely pay a fee (not confirmed yet).

There are two companies that are very responsive for the respective PLB:

Mcmurdo PLB:
CAN Traders And Services Pte Ltd
No.61, Kaki Bukit Ave 1, #05-04, Shun Li Industrial Park, Singapore 417943
Tel : +65 68418338 Fax: +65 68418878
Price: Unknown

ACR PLB:
Safety Innovators
90 Tuas Ave 11
Singapore 639101
Price: $85 SGD

So one cannot buy a PLB from the Internet anywhere in the world and go diving to different countries? Because the original serial may belong to another country and you are a travelling Internationally diver? How does this work exactly?

When a beacon is sold to another country, the purchaser is responsible for having the beacon reprogrammed with a new country code and to register it with his/her nation's beacon registry, and the seller is responsible to de-registerthe deprecated beacon ID with his/her national beacon registry.

After the recent incident in Malaysia I am looking at PLBs and confused how this will work when one vacation is in Indo, next in Philippines and then in Malaysia and my home country and so on…

So one cannot buy a PLB from the Internet anywhere in the world and go diving to different countries? Because the original serial may belong to another country and you are a travelling Internationally diver? How does this work exactly?
It works fine, it is truly an international system.

I live in United Kingdom but carry a PLB that is coded for USA. I cannot register it with the UK authorities due to the coding and the manufacturer can't or won't recode it. However, I can register it in USA (NOAA) with my UK contact details. NOAA even send me a nice sticker by international post.

In the event of activation the satellite network routes the distress call to the designated local emergency service based upon geolocation. They can check the registrant details with the 'home' register as required and launch the necessary response.

I dive with my PLB all around the world. But remember in some locations, even with your distress call successfully sent, the local capability to mount a useful response may be limited - so plan accordingly.

After the recent incident in Malaysia I am looking at PLBs and confused how this will work when one vacation is in Indo, next in Philippines and then in Malaysia and my home country and so on…
#5 has explained very clearly.
You must have the unit registered at the country where you bought it.

A lot of those "lost at sea" incidents could have been avoided if the divers have some basic safety equipment.
Decent sized smb with spool, torch( with long lasting battery power), mirror, whistle(air horn). I have seen couple of times that water and high energy bar were inside a container which was attached to the tank cam band.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom