PLB Products

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kelemvor

Big Fleshy Monster
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
What is the "plb of choice" for divers? I picked up a canister to hold a plb a year or so ago, but haven't yet filled it with one. Of course, I'd prefer one that is natively housed for diving if such a beast exists.

I'd love to hear from @DandyDon or anyone else really.

I've read about the Ocean Signal rescueME PLB1 and ACR Electronics ResQLink+. They're both about $250 from what I can see. Are there others?

Last edited:
The easiest and most convenient (but most expensive) all-in-one OEM solution is the McMurdo Fastfind PLB with its Aluminium Dive Canister depth rated to 150m:

McMurdo Dive Canister - Star Marine Depot

I've had this unit now for over 11 years, with no canister leaks ever, the deepest depth taken was to 69msw. Only come close to deploying it twice, both times in the Philippines -one instance surfacing during a low visibiliy tropical rain squall like below in which it took the boat crew 20min to find me & a buddy again.

Well, you should get the PLB first before getting a canister for it, not the other way around, as your PLB might be too big to fit into the canister. I also don’t want to have a big canister to carry around.

I want the canister / case to fit into my BCD pocket. Here is my latest case for my PLB1 with a plastic tray to prevent the $20 Kona soft case (for iPhone6+) from crushing the PLB1 under pressure at depth. Last time I used it without the tray, the water pressure crushed the soft case & turned on the PLB1 at 100’ depth. Hopefully this tray would prevent it from happening again. I’ll test it later during my next trip to Flower Garden Banks on July 28.

76464938-6BD8-4A3D-AB80-87768581D808.jpeg

Last edited:
I've read about the Ocean Signal rescueME PLB1 and ACR Electronics ResQLink+. They're both about $250 from what I can see. Are there others?
Those two and the McMurdo Fastfind 220 seem to be the best choices. I like the ACR 2881 because it floats without a pouch, while the other two must be secured in the flotation pouches. There are other GPS trackers of limited appeal.

Which canister do you have? How old is the o-ring? Be sure to lubricate the o-ring lightly with silicone grease. A small leak won't hurt any of these I don't think, but a o-ring failure would.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom