Playa Del Coco - Costa Rica - August

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

K3

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'll be spending about a month in Playa Del Coco at the end of July and most of August for work. I'll be bringing my gear down for some diving. Are the sites that are recommended for fish and other large creatures? These would have to be land base trips as a liveaboard is not possible due to work.

Also, what's the water temperature like? In Cozumel with December water temps of 78F I'm in board shorts and a rashie.

thanks

K3:
... Are the sites that are recommended for fish and other large creatures? These would have to be land base trips as a liveaboard is not possible due to work. ...

Ahhh, Papagayo in August! Lucky you.

There are some nice dive sites right there. Divescover - Playa del Coco has this to say ...

This area is great for diving with the big stuff such as reef and bull sharks, manta and eagle rays, huge schools of fish and large pelagic fish to the small macro critters such as nudibranchs. The striking underwater landscape is made up mostly of volcanic pinnacles with great visibility of up to 25 metres and average water temperatures are a mild 26 C-30 C; 20 C if you dip down into the thermocline which is a mix of cold and warm water.

In other words, if you are into marine biology, you may not want to come back home.

All of that quote is accurate. None seems exaggerated, with one caveat: visibility varies.

Nights are cooler in the wet season. There will probably be the occasional torrential downpour. After the rain, the viz is worse due to particulate runoff.

Hopefully, this El Niño-like year will leave you with some nice sunny days for diving.

Full moon on August 29th this year. You can expect to see Leatherback turtles laying eggs on the beaches in the week of that brighter light. Maybe Olive Ridleys, too.

I have been their twice both times where great massive eagle rays tons of little rays jumping out of the water. Vis isn't great and the water is cold I use a 5 mm but my buddy dives a 3 mm. Have fun and post some pictures once you get back

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

K3:
I'll be spending about a month in Playa Del Coco at the end of July and most of August for work.

Are you hiring? :cool2:

I was there at the beginning of last September and was pleasantly surprised with 80 degree water temps. I'll PM you with the link to my trip report.

Thanks for the info - it's much appreciated!

Do not miss the Bat Islands - best diving in the area IMO. Sharks, rays and bigger schools of fish - exactly what you asked about. You will be there 'in Bats season' so you shouldn't have trouble booking trips with any op. You may even have the chance to do an overnight camping trip to Bats (rare, but offered in the summer) to get some more dives in and explore some lesser dived sites.

I wasn't blown away with the Cat Islands (all depends what one is comparing them to) but you should dive them too to have an opinion. YMMV.

There are some nice dive sites right there. Divescover - Playa del Coco has this to say ...
This area is great for diving with the big stuff such as reef and bull sharks, manta and eagle rays, huge schools of fish and large pelagic fish to the small macro critters such as nudibranchs. The striking underwater landscape is made up mostly of volcanic pinnacles with great visibility of up to 25 metres and average water temperatures are a mild 26 C-30 C; 20 C if you dip down into the thermocline which is a mix of cold and warm water.
Don't know about reef sharks, but there are bulls and white tips. Bulls only at Bat Isl. Possibility of a black tip shark if you are lucky. All sorts of pelagic rays, including manta, spotted eagle, mobula, mustard and bat rays, plus the bottom dwelling rays. All the local sites (non Cats, non Bats) - which is the majority of the diving done - I would describe as mostly boulders on sloping bottoms, not "pinnacles".

That "up to" is very important. If you have done some research you will realize that viz is typically much less than 25m. You might want to search here under Ocotal as well as Playa del Coco for recent diver reports. Temperatures above the thermocline can be much lower than 26 C, though the summer months are supposed to offer the warmest water generally. We had 3-5 degree F drops between dives and between consecutive dive days in Dec/Jan and were told this was common year round, as well as significant vis changes in sites that were very close to each other. Conditions can change rapidly and unexpectedly.

After the rain, the viz is worse due to particulate runoff.
I was actually told by both of the most senior dive ops that unlike in most parts of the world vis in the rainy season is better in Ocotal/Playa del Coco than in the dry season. They will give you a detailed explanation of why when you get there.

Hope you get some great diving in - let us know how it went.

I just got back from Hermosa, with diving in coco with Rich Coast Diving. Great time!

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the help. I've done 12 dives so far around the Playa del Coco dive sites. Have seen lots of eagle rays, white tips sharks, and one elusive turtle. Really ticked off that when we saw a hump back whale surface in front of us on the boat my camera battery had died. I've got a few days left here, and will be hunting down a trip to Bat island.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom