Playa del Carmen

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lawman

Reaction score
OK, went to Coz and I dove and wife got bored.She
likes it on the mainland, near playa del carmen or
down the coast. Anyone got any suggestions for
a compromise place to stay? Dive operations? Costs?
Transportation? Car rental? Restaurants? I know
nothing about that stretch...any info will help.:confused:

We're both divers so we spend the days diving and don't really care about shopping, sightseeing or other stuff. We loved Akumal in December. It's about 1/2 hr south of PDC, but small, relaxed and not touristy. Only about 7 restaurants and 4-5 shops. Mostly private homes, villas and condos. BUT, your 1/2 way btwn PDC and Tulum, an hr south of Cancun, 15 min to great cenotes, accessible day trips to Mayan Ruins too. We stayed at Vista del Mar condos (www.akumalinfo.com) and dove with Akumal Dive Adventures (www.akumaldiveadventures.com). A good site for info on the area south of Cancun is www.locogringo.com.

I stayed at the Bahia Principe which is a really great all inclusive resort. Food was good (I had 8 kinds of Octopus at one dinner!) None-diving partner loved the beach and was quite happy whilst I was off with the fishes.

There is a dive shop on the premises and they can arrange cave diving.

There is also a place called Xel-ha which has a huge lagoon where you can snorkle. A great outing that bridges diver and non-diver. Lots of fish, couple of rays and a 6ft barracuda.

Lawman once bubbled...
OK, went to Coz and I dove and wife got bored.She
likes it on the mainland, near playa del carmen or
down the coast. Anyone got any suggestions for
a compromise place to stay? Dive operations? Costs?
Transportation? Car rental? Restaurants? I know
nothing about that stretch...any info will help.:confused:

you can keep the wife happy by staying at any of the places between playa and Tulum, but diving will get a lot more expensive when you have to head over to Cozumel to do the best diving:(

I stayed at Barcel Maya last year during kids April vacation - it never felt crowded there, except for the nightly shows. Dove onsite with Dressers, not as much to see locally as over in Coz.

Am going to stay at RIU Palace this year, and will be doing my OW with ScubaCaribe.

Will report back on any local dives.

2-3 years ago I spent a night at the Pelicano. Very inexpensive, clean and right at the heart of things on the beach. Has personality to it. Not one of the bigger places. More informal and small. I enjoyed it. I always stay in Cancun and do many "daytrips" down the coast. But if I were to stay in Playa I would consider this place again.

Back
Top Bottom