Playa del Carmen scuba and snorkel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

USMC0842

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello my family and my sisters family are going to pdc at the end of February. There is a total of ten of us.
Three of us are scuba divers. The other 7 would like to snorkel. My question is. I’m looking for a dive shop that would take us diving and snorkeling at the same time. I realize that would limit us to shallow sites but that would be ok.

I might be wrong but I don't think there are any shallow snorkeling reefs around Playa that would suite both divers and snorkelers. I have snorkeled from shore but there is not much too see until you get deeper. If it were me I would contact some of the many dive shops in Cozumel and see about a trip to Columbia Shallows. It would be an all day trip but probably the best combo in the area.

Thank you for the reply. I had a feeling that was going to be brought up. I think that’s what we are going to have to do. We have never been to Cozumel. We have only been to Cancun and Isla Mujeres

perhaps a trip o akumal ? there is a dive shop there. the others can snorkel with the turtles. the beach is amazing there too.

The following are in PDC:

Scuba Diving Playa del Carmen | Pro PADI Dive Shop | Mexico Blue Dream Don't know anything first hand about them, but they do show a WhatsApp number at the top of the screen, so should be easy to contact for info

Snorkeling in PLAYA DEL CARMEN with Dressel Divers Only dove with them and thought they were good; can't vouch for snorkeling. The hype on the webpage may be better than the actual snorkeling. Contact is through their main offices in Spain (I believe.) I used a WhatsApp number to the Dressel PDC dive shop we dove with - maybe they can give you another number or contact of a Dressel closer to where you're staying so you can see what they might offer you. The number is/was +52 984 879 5026

Dive Company in Mexico & Dominican Republic | Pro Dive International Again, only dove with them and only in Cozumel, but they have locations in PDC and offer snorkeling

Akumal is the only place I've snorkeled (with the turtles) around PDC. Maybe some diving from there as others snorkel. Great beach!

It appears that all of ops above do separate dive/snorkel trips, but you never know until you ask. I would email or call (Mexico should be free) to see what they can offer you.

I would follow @Streydog 's advice as the ops on Cozumel are more likely to offer snorkelers and divers going out at the same time. The last time I was in PDC, I did 2 dives in Cozumel that were set up by Dressel. The benefit to that was that they took us to the ferry, had a boat waiting for us that took us to the Dressel (at the Iberostar) in Coz, and that took us back to the ferry after the dives (as a bonus, it also included the buffet at the Iberostar.) The only thing it cut out was a long taxi ride to and from Dressel/Iberostar - maybe something to think about with 10 people.

Another possibility I'm aware of is at El Cid La Ceiba in Coz. There is an on-site dive op, Babieca - can't vouch for them as I dove with someone else when I stayed there - but there is a pretty nice snorkeling area - free snorkeling while 3 dive - also a beach area, but iron shore - there are steps to walk down to snorkel. Think they only do boat dives during the day (the only shore dive from them is at night.) A day pass might be required to snorkel, but maybe not if there are divers. I'm staying there again next Dec.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I really appreciate the reply’s. I’m going to call some of the shops today.

I can highly recommend Nicolas from CenoteXperience. I have been diving with Nico & his brother Martin for over 10 years. They are great guys, excellent dive guides and they really love what they do and it shows. They have a small family run dive shop in Playa. They can customize a package that will suit your needs and they go over to Cozumel. Tell Nico that Steve from Canada sent you. CenoteXperience - Cavern, Cave and Ocean Diving in Playa del Carmen Yucatan Mexico - Home

Don't snorkel or dive Playa del Carmen. Snorkeling is Puerto Morelos, and some easier dives are good there as well.

Cozumel for the more experienced. Do be carefull which operation you go with. Puerto Aventuras is decent as well.

With 10 persons in Cozumel you could easily charter a couple boats or a single large one. Dive and snorkel Columbia shallows, Palancar Gardens, Delila (Punta Palancar) or a number of other shallow to medium depth reefs. I have often been on mixed boats with both divers and snorkelers and the operator will include a DM for each group for safety. With the travel restrictions due to the pandemic there are plenty of available operators and boats who would work with you to set up a trip any way you want to do it.

We ended up using cenote experience. We could not ask for more. This shop is great. We will definitely be using them next year again. The kids loved them. We did one day at cenotes, one day diving Cozumel, and one day diving Playa del Carmen. Thanks for the recommendation Ontwreckdiver.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom