Playa del Carmen: Dive shop & dive sites

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello,

I'm planning a trip to Playa del Carmen, Mexico in March. Earlier this month I qualified for the PADI open water certification and did a few dives in Cozumel. Any recommendations on dive shops and favorite dive sites in Playa del Carmen? Or should I plan to ferry over to Cozumel? I'd like to do around 12 dives while I'm in the area. I will be there for 10 days. Thanks for the advice.

Regards,
Kendall

Hi Kendall,

Congrats on the OW Cert! I'm also in SE WI - where did you do your certification?

Playa has some nice sites, Tortugas, Mama Vina wreck, Punta Venado, Cerebros are all nice.

You'd be in good hands with Nico or his brother Martin at CenoteXperience - CenoteXperience - who are outstanding. They primarily focus on the cenotes and have my highest recommendation for that, however, they've added ocean diving opportunities as well.

The last few years we've used Tank Ha (for ocean dives prior to Nico adding that capability) and they've been great. They went through an ownership change recently but our experience this year mirror those of prior years so things seem to be the same which is good! The reason we chose them initially was they go direct to Cozumel from Playa so no messing around with the Ferry and you get back quicker (around 1-2 vs 3-5pm).

Feel free to PM me if you'd like more info, we've been to Playa about 9 times in the last 7 years, love it there! Also if you have questions about local diving here in WI as well!

Enjoy your trip, let us know how it went!

Brian.

I've had good luck with Tank Ha and Dive Mike. I like Jardine's Reef and the Mama Vina, although that's too deep for an OW diver. Jardine's has an amazing amount of life to look at, and it's shallow.

Hi Kendall,

Congrats on the OW Cert! I'm also in SE WI - where did you do your certification?

Playa has some nice sites, Tortugas, Mama Vina wreck, Punta Venado, Cerebros are all nice.

You'd be in good hands with Nico or his brother Martin at CenoteXperience - CenoteXperience - who are outstanding. They primarily focus on the cenotes and have my highest recommendation for that, however, they've added ocean diving opportunities as well.

The last few years we've used Tank Ha (for ocean dives prior to Nico adding that capability) and they've been great. They went through an ownership change recently but our experience this year mirror those of prior years so things seem to be the same which is good! The reason we chose them initially was they go direct to Cozumel from Playa so no messing around with the Ferry and you get back quicker (around 1-2 vs 3-5pm).

Feel free to PM me if you'd like more info, we've been to Playa about 9 times in the last 7 years, love it there! Also if you have questions about local diving here in WI as well!

Enjoy your trip, let us know how it went!

Brian.
Thanks Brian. I got the certification while in Cozumel at Dive Palancar. I will ping you as we get closer to the trip. We plan on staying at the Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla. I'm looking forward to getting more dive experience. [h=2][/h]

i did my open OW at Dive Palancar and am going back next week, can't wait!

My wife and I had a great experience diving with Tank Ha last summer. They even took us on a Cenote dive when we were the only two divers...Awesome customer service and great DM's. Their rental gear was in good repair and they are the only dive shop that has a direct boat to Coz.

glen

Spent a week last Spring in Riviera Maya and Cozmel. I found the diving (only 12 dives) south of Playa Del Carmen to be uninspiring. Especially after we went to Cozmel to dive for several days, which was very nice, in the area of Plancar Bricks and Deep. The best part of the mainland are the Cenotes- absolutely incredible. I have only done both sides of Dos Oros, but plan on going back to see more another time. But you do need to have good buoyancy control.

Headed back to Cozmel for a week in March with a group.

Terry

I leave for Playa del Carmen on Friday. I plan to use Tank Ha. I plan on diving at least 2 days in Cozumel, 1 day local in Playa and maybe 1 day in the Cenotes. I'm staying at the Paradisus La Perla near calle 106. Where will I meet the boat? Will they pick me up from the beach? I will go to the dive shop either late Friday afternoon or Saturday morning to make arrangements but, I'm curious about the logistics. Thanks again for the advice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom