Playa Del Carmen and New Diver - Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don Rogers

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Heading to Secrets Capri in Playa del Carmen in a couple of weeks and looking for advice on dives and dive shops. I'm newly certified OW and got my cert in fresh lake water so no experience with ocean dives. Its a family vacation but only 2 of us are certified so we have to budget our time between diving and non-diving activities.
Recommendations are appreciated. Thanks

There are some beautiful cenotes in Playa and it's fresh water. Of course, it's an overhead environment and cavern diving. You would have a guide with no more than four other divers. Do an internet search for cenotes and dive shops in the area.

Sometimes cenotes are not the best for freshly minted divers unless you have good buoyancy control and are comfortable in the water. We have used Tank Ha on 3 separate occasions and have been very happy with the experience.

I've visited Playa del Carmen last summer and I dived with Blue Life. I have only good words to say about them. A personalized service and they took me to beatiful places in Playa, Cenotes and Cozumel.

Sometimes cenotes are not the best for freshly minted divers unless you have good buoyancy control and are comfortable in the water. We have used Tank Ha on 3 separate occasions and have been very happy with the experience.

True, but Dos Ojos and Grand Cenote are ideal for beginners. The rest of the family could enjoy snorkeling there as well.

First, welcome to the addiction.

Second, It would add a couple of hours to your day, but you could take the ferry over to Cozumel for $10 ( there was an $8 option 2 weeks ago, but I heard they were shut down) and there are lots of shops that offer world class Valet dive service with every kind of reef you can imagine. From Deep swim throughs to shallow fast drift dives loaded with life (my favorite) it's all there. Most ops leave early so the first ferry out would be needed. The ferry takes around 40 minutes each way.

We dive with Aldora who use steel 120 tanks standard so you end up with 90 minute dives. Their pier is right next to the ferry pier. The standard tank on Coz is an aluminum 80 for most other operators, with an option of an AL100. Depending on the group and you personal consumption, dives over an hour unless you stay shallow are rare. We love the big tanks!

Blue Magic is a few blocks from the ferry pier, but an easy walk even if you were dragging equipment. Again fantastic service that I can personally recommend. A small shop that is literally like diving with family. I think they left their shop around 8 so it would be doable from the ferry.

Dive With Martin is one of the oldest and cheapest operators on the island. DwM leaves from their shop next to the international cruise ship pier, proabably a 5-10 minute cab ride from the ferry pier. When we dove with them there were 4 of us so it was just as cheap to charter our own boat and have it waiting on us when we got off the ship. That was our first dive trip after certification and we have been hooked ever since.

blue XTSea I believe has a dive trip for cruise ship divers that leaves a little later as well. There are tons of other operators on Cozumel and we have never had any bad service. Tres Pelicanos, Papa Hogs, and Living Underwater all get good reviews as well. As long as you are on a small, fast boat with no more than 6 divers, I think you will be pleased with the service. The only bad reports I have ever heard were from divers on "Cattle Boats".

All the ops I mentioned will have great email response times and may have a special dive schedule leaving later. Just email, explain your needs, and I bet all of them will work to accommodate almost any reasonable request.

If the Cozumel option interests you, there is a specific forum with literally a weeks worth of reading on who to dive with and what to do. We go at least twice a year and consider it our second home. If you have any questions, feel free to pm me.

Third, regardless of where you dive or which operator you choose....prepare to be amazed. It's almost impossible to get excited about a lake dive after Cozumel.

Good luck, safe travels,
Jay

Thanks for all the advice. The cenotes seem like a good option to take whole family and still get some diving in. Don't know about getting over to Cozumel this trip but is definitely on the books for next trip. Going to send out some emails and see what I get back. Thanks again.

I dive Riveria Maya every year but have never made it to Cuzumel yet. Lots of good sites on the mainland. The fresh water in the cenotes is a good way to wash the salt off your gear after a week of diving. And after a week of diving in the see buoyancy still are better.
If I am with my wife I like to dive with a shop in the resort. Then I can spend more time with my wife.

Thanks for all the advice. The cenotes seem like a good option to take whole family and still get some diving in. Don't know about getting over to Cozumel this trip but is definitely on the books for next trip. Going to send out some emails and see what I get back. Thanks again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom