Play in spg connection

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alurpal

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I just bought by first set of gear. One thing I noticed is the spg has a bit of side to side play when attached to the high pressure hose. The attachment point is on a swivel. Is it normal for this to have some play?

I haven’t pressurized it yet but that’s my next step.

The swivel also squeaks when I rotate it, but I think that’s just annoying more than anything else.

This is a basic analog 2” gauge.

First is it new or used? I would pressurize it and see if it leaks if it does it may be missing the spool. Turn the pressure on slowly though.

when unpressurised the swivel connection will indeed have a fair amount of play in it, as this is to allow the centre spool that carries the two o rings to self align. And the pressure pushing axially along the hose will act to extend the swivel to its end stops under pressure.

The squeek just means it's dry, as the chromed or stainless parts rub on each other when you twist it.

It's a good idea to replace the little O rings on the spool and optionally give the parts a very fine coating of suitable grease (depending on your O2 mixes used) ocasionally if you want to get rid of the squeek, but really this external lube doesn't actually do a lot, and if you use too much can trap sand an silt and actually lead to more wear.

Back
Top Bottom