Plate Channel Weight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

airsix

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I needed to get some weight off my hips so I cast a channel weight today for my backplate. I thought I'd post a few pics in case anyone is interested.

I was not in the mood to drive to the hardware store for plumbers putty or to the craft store for modeling clay, so I used... some of my daughter's playdough. A little smokey and smelly, but it worked.

In the first picture you can see a small metal square in the center of the channel. This is a piece of steel I welded to a pair of nuts. A bolt through the backplate threads into the nuts and holds it all in place. I cast the ingot around this plate/nut assembly. Now I can remove or replace the bolt to attach/detatch the weight from the backplate. I was shooting for 10lb but it came out around 7 or 8.

-Ben

What is the % breakdown of all your weight vs. where it's located?

Mainly how much is non-ditchable?

cfelliot:
What is the % breakdown of all your weight vs. where it's located?

Mainly how much is non-ditchable?

backplate: 5#
STA: 5#
channel weight: 8#
harness: 2#

Total kit weight: 20#
Weight belt: 8#

Total combined weight: 28#

Percentage ditchable: 29%

Glad someone got something from this thread. You're welcome. I'll hit the pool a week from tomorrow to see how I trim out with it & report back.

-Ben M.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom