Plastic control dial fell off a6000

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mbs

Contributor
Reaction score
Before I dust off the gorilla glue, thought I would ask here if it matters... The other day as I was taking the a6000 out of its case the plastic control dial "cover" fell off! Looks like a simple matter of a drop or 2 of glue to put it back on, but is there anything that I should be concerned with? Type of glue?
Thanks!
upload_2020-10-26_15-29-59.png

I don't think I would use gorilla glue. That stuff expands quite a bit as it dries, and it might displace the button or even leak out around the edges of the button. I'd use super glue or something else. Pretty much anything but gorilla on something where appearance or exact placement of something matters.

I'd use super glue (cyanoacrylate) or maybe some quick set epoxy.

Reactions: mbs
I don't think I would use gorilla glue. That stuff expands quite a bit as it dries, and it might displace the button or even leak out around the edges of the button. I'd use super glue or something else. Pretty much anything but gorilla on something where appearance or exact placement of something matters.

I'd use super glue (cyanoacrylate) or maybe some quick set epoxy.
Thank you!!! Exactly the guidance I was hoping for!

I always use tooth picks to place drops of super glue of critical components. It gives much finer control.

I use Loctite 406. It is the bomb

Reactions: mbs
This happened to one of my A6000's too. Do not try any glue, including Super Glue, Gorilla Glue etc etc. These days most plastic parts of electronic devices, including laptops and cameras, are made of plastic called ABS. No glue sticks to ABS; it is just about as bad as polypropylene. The only thing that can glue ABS is the solvent called methylethylketone, or MEK for short. MEK was used as a paint thinner and it used to be available from Lowe's and Home Depot, and paint stores like Sherwin-Williams; however, recently it has been replaced with "MEK Substitute" which is ethyl acetate. I do not know if ethyl acetate will work to glue ABS, but if you get some MEK or decide to use the substitute, drop some liquid on the surface, wait, drop a bit more and press the two surfaces together for 24 hrs. MEK partially dissolves ABS and when it dries the surfaces become welded together.

Reactions: OTF
Gorilla glue is a variation of cyanoacrylate
They may very well sell cyanoacrylate now days as that brand sells a number of products. However, "regular" gorilla glue is Diphenylmethane diisocyanate rather than Cyanoacrylate.

This happened to one of my A6000's too. Do not try any glue, including Super Glue, Gorilla Glue etc etc. These days most plastic parts of electronic devices, including laptops and cameras, are made of plastic called ABS. No glue sticks to ABS; it is just about as bad as polypropylene. The only thing that can glue ABS is the solvent called methylethylketone, or MEK for short. MEK was used as a paint thinner and it used to be available from Lowe's and Home Depot, and paint stores like Sherwin-Williams; however, recently it has been replaced with "MEK Substitute" which is ethyl acetate. I do not know if ethyl acetate will work to glue ABS, but if you get some MEK or decide to use the substitute, drop some liquid on the surface, wait, drop a bit more and press the two surfaces together for 24 hrs. MEK partially dissolves ABS and when it dries the surfaces become welded together.
Wow, I get what the idea is here, but it certainly sounds a little risky. As in, how does the mek know when to stop dissolving the abs? Sorta like how does weed killer know not to kill the lawn :wink:

Wow, I get what the idea is here, but it certainly sounds a little risky. As in, how does the mek know when to stop dissolving the abs? Sorta like how does weed killer know not to kill the lawn :wink:
MEK is closely related to acetone. It boils at 79.6 C, so it evaporates quickly. This is why you have to apply it 2-3 times to make sure some of it diffuses into the plastic. Just do not put too much or you may accidently spill some MEK into the guts of your camera. It can't damage the optics or electronics but some moving parts may stick together.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom