Plastic Cam Bands?!?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Danseur

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I've never used one except in OW on rented gear...

Ever broken one? Are there "good" ones?

I've always done stainless, but now am at the bleeding edge on my checked baggage weight. Considering options.

Thanks!

Justin

I have seen broken pieces on the boat. They aren't all created equal but most I've seen are super strong. 'would take a lot to break one but a falling tank could do it.

I have broken one but it was pretty old at the time and may have been dropped a couple of times. Despite that I have no issue trusting them.

They do break but it seems to be rare. I've had 2 of them completely shatter on me.

First one was probably due to extreme sun and chlorine exposure (an old pool jacket BCD). The second time was when I left my BP/W in car overnight and showed up to dive site with 14F (-10C) air temperatures. As I was putting the BP/W on my tank when one of the plastic cam buckles completely shattered.

I prefer the stainless steel ones that @rjack321 posted but I mainly use hose clamps on my bailout and sidemount bottles.

Clamps: It'll be a travel rig. Unknown bottle diameters at destination. Also prefer quick and tool-less installs for swapping cylinders.

I've seen crappy generic buckles break, but usually pool setting, cheap/old gear.

The DR slimline 1.5" straps I've been considering as I have a pair that I use for travel SM cylinders, but would need to dedicate, trim, and have velcro restiched to work on small bottles. Looks like a decent option, although I have like 5 spare unused plastic buckle straps.

DR also makes a "short" version of the stainless, but don't want to buy anything if I don't need to.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom