Plastic BP/W assembly screws?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bamabowtie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
When using screws to attach BP to wing, I read on DiveGearExpress that you should use plastic screws to avoid scratching your tank. Obviously I'm sure the SS screws would be much more durable, but really how durable to those screws REALLY need to be? I suppose that is my question. Should I go plastic or stainless steel?

I've never seen plastic screws used on a BP&W. That could be because we all use Aluminium tanks here, so scratching isn't an issue... but then again, I've never noticed an ali tank that was obviously scratched by the screws...

I really liked the divegearexpress website. Very professional and informative. With regards to the plastic screw...to be fair to them, they do say:

Without the assembly screws, when the BCD is taken off a single tank the wing will hang loose on the cam straps. Note that this function is just cosmetic, some people prefer to omit the assembly screws and this does not cause a problem.

I read that to mean that these screws are for use when the BP&W are only secured via threading the camband through the wing and backplate. The screws are not 'load bearing' and only exist for holding the kit together when a tank is not attached (out of the water). They are probably fine for that task. At $2.50, rather than $14 for the SS bolts, they'd make reasonable sense.

I've never seen plastic screws used on a BP&W. That could be because we all use Aluminium tanks here, so scratching isn't an issue... but then again, I've never noticed an ali tank that was obviously scratched by the screws...

I really liked the divegearexpress website. Very professional and informative. With regards to the plastic screw...to be fair to them, they do say:

Quote:
Without the assembly screws, when the BCD is taken off a single tank the wing will hang loose on the cam straps. Note that this function is just cosmetic, some people prefer to omit the assembly screws and this does not cause a problem.

I read that to mean that these screws are for use when the BP&W are only secured via threading the camband through the wing and backplate. The screws are not 'load bearing' and only exist for holding the kit together when a tank is not attached (out of the water). They are probably fine for that task. At $2.50, rather than $14 for the SS bolts, they'd make reasonable sense.

Exactly! My rig is now over five years old, and still using the original set of plastic assembly screws.

I have plastic ones on mine & doing AOK--1.5 years old......

The cam straps hold it all together when there's any load on it. The screws really only stop it falling apart when it has no tank on it.

x2^^^ all of the above.

As far as I know, the only time you would really NEED the metal screws would be if you were to elect to use a single tank adapter (STA) with your rig for extra weight or tank stability.

I went ahead and bought the metal screws and attached my wing to the backplate with them just to keep it from hanging loose on the cam bands when my a tank is not installed on my rig.

Plastic should do just fine for you, and if you break or lose one, you will do fine without it and could afford to buy four sets or more of them for spare vs. what I paid for one set of the metal screws...

I'm old school and refuse to use plastic screws, bolts clips or buckles of any kind. It's a preference thing. I would rather have a scratched tank, than screw failure (even though unlikely) at any depth.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom