Planning Trip to Costa Rica - Need Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChgoDiver

Registered
Reaction score
I am headed down to Costa Rica (Gulf of Papagayo) for a week vacation in October 2005 with my wife. In order to make the most out of our diving and since we are relatively new divers, I am seeking some additional help.

First, does anyone know how the diving conditions are in October in Costa Rica? I have read conflicting information regarding the vis and temperature during the rainy season. I have read that some people are diving with hoods. Is that necessary? Anybody have any personal knowledge? Also, is October a good time for spotting giant mantas? bull sharks? whale sharks?

Second, it will be our first time down in Costa Rica so we will not be diving every day down there. We plan on doing a canopy tour, river tour etc. With that said, after having read some of the posts on ScubaBoard, I have noticed that not every dive yields the macro-life that you always hear about in Costa Rica. Should we head straight to the Catalina Is. and the Bat Is in order to maximize our exposure to CR marine life rather than tooling around at other more local dive sites? Will that yield better scenery/marine life?

Third, our hotel is partnered with Bill Beard's dive operation which I hear is a pretty good op. Is there any reason to use a different dive op? I have heard some great things about other dive ops, but am not sure that it is worth foregoing the convenience of using Beard's.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I've been there many times...have dove there many times also. i've dove there in Jan., March, April, Aug., Oct., Nov., & Dec. To me all those months pretty much have been the same as to diving. The diving is good there...not the best but good. lot's of marine life to see. I personally would go ahead and do the first dives at Bat Island & Catalina Island to see all the good stuff. Bat Island has the Bull Sharks...I really don't know about the Mantas or Whale Sharks cause i still haven't seen one yet...well, I did see a manta in CR and that's right after we left a dive site and the boat was heading back to dock....damn! but, otherwise it's good. you can find macro life....the water isn't as clear as in the caribbean but, again it's good. I've never dove with Bill Beard's personally i've heard that it's good. I've used Deep Blue & Ocotal in Guanacaste with no problems. A friend of mine just returned recently from diving down there for 2 weeks and he said that out of all the diving he's done all over the world...he had the best time down there...seeing, mantas...(yes, mantas), bull sharks, a pod of false killer whales etc. and he does have pictures to proof it. All the time i've dove there i've only dove with a skin suit and i'm one to get cold easily and i've never had the problem of getting cold. so, i don't know about it. i would go with a 3mm. and take the hood with you in case. it's a beautiful country and you will have tons of fun there. I might be actually headed there in Aug. for 1 week. no sure yet. well, if you got anymore ? let me know and i'll try to help you out.

Dear Chgo Diver:

As a Costa Rican, very familiar with diving in the North Pacific Coast and Papagayo Gulf, I think my advice could be somewhat helpful:

Best time to visit: Costa Rica has two seasons, dry (Dec-Apr) and wet (May-Nov). Wet means realy wet, rain almost every afternoon, although the Guanacaste province, where you'll be, is usually the driest part of the country. This means that the rainy season is not that rainy there but still rainy enough to make everything look green and, to some of us, really nice. For diving, in my humble opinion is the opposite. During our dry season, it gets very windy. This usually means choppy seas and colder waters. I believe part of the colder waters during that season also coincide with colder waters from the North where you have the winter. For me, during this season, a 7mm wet suit and a hood would be perfect. Lifewise, it changes. Colder waters bring rays. Warmer waters bring white tips. Abuntant fish all year round. During the rainy season, waters are warmer and the wind goes away. That's when I actually like it. My 5 mm suit is more than enough. Even a 3 mm one would do. Now, we've been spotting a lot of spotted eagle rays in large groups.

Diving Operations: I've neved dove with Bill Beards but I hear they are very good and professional. I normally dive with Ocotal. These guys are great and know all the sites like their backyard. Most recently, I've been diving with Summer-Salt (www.summer-salt.com) owned by a Norwegian couple. Co-owner Kristian is one of the only two PADI course directors living in Costa Rica. The other is a Costa Rican working at Ocotal. Summer Salt is a very professional yet smaller operation. Their boat is smaller that the ones Ocotal or Bill Beard use but for small groups, you get a second to none personnalized service. I love that. Besides, you get to eat delicious pastries and bakery during the dive intervals prepared by Kristian's wife. I also highly recommend Francesco Nistri of Diving Mania, who is my instructor. His operation is in San Jose, so he's more dedicated to certifying people and organizing tours from San Jose. Francesco normally uses Summer Salt for the tours. Bill Beard and Summer Salt (as well as some others) are located in Playas del Coco. Ocotal Diving is located right on the beach in Playa Ocotal.

Where to stay: Depends on your budget and whether you want to stay close to Playas del Coco or Ocotal. When I want something nice and am willing to pay more, I go to Ocotal Resort, very nice. Normally, for weekend getaways I stay at La Flor de Itabo on Playas del Coco. Very basic, yet good enough for me. I guess you can check the Instituto Costarricence de Turismo web page (Costa Rica's Tourism Board) and compare the different hotels in the area. For diving Catalinas, you can either stay in Playas del Coco/Ocotal area or you could stay in Flamigo Beach, right in front of Catalinas.

Dive spots: Catalinas is famous for mantas and in fact that's were I've spotted 6 and 5 meter wingspan Manta Rays in the past. You get to see devil rays, sharks and sometimes even bull sharks. Last weekend, when I dove there, I didnt' see big marine life, except for spotted eagle rays. Diving was nice though. Be prepared for currents.

Bat Islands: It's a 2 hour trip from Playas del Coco. People go there to see the bull sharks at "Big Scare". Last weekend I didn't see them, even though our guide and one fellow diver did see them. Still, don't be dissapointed is you don't, cause you can do what I believe is one of the most awesome spots in Costa Rica, "Black Rock". Be sure to do this spot.

Local dives: Operations in the Playas del Coco/Ocotal area call Local dives ("Buceo local") anything withing 30 minutes distance from the coast. Diving can be excellent there. That's what I do most often and I love it. Lots of marine life and surprises regardless of poor or good viz. Must do sites include "Virador", "Argentina", "Tortuga", "Monkey Head", "Sorpresa" (this one is deeper, 90+ ft).

Other spots: Some other very nice spots a bit more distant to be called local include: To the south: "Tiburones" (Sharks), "El Ancla" (The Anchor), "Fantasma" (Ghost, 90+ ft), "Penahuaste", "El Acuario" and "Punta Gorda" (one of my favorites). To the North: "Palmares" (great place).

Where to eat: If you stay in El Coco, be sure to check out local "Tico" restaurants, great for seafood: "La Guajira" (get the mashed black beans and patacones platter, mixed ceviche and the whole fried snapper, yum!). If you don't accompany that with an ice cold Imperial, it'd be a crime. "Milanes", if you like seafood soup, say for dinner, this is the place to go. Best seafood soup in the country. Also, for drinks and snacks, try "Father Rooster" on the beach in Ocotal.

Gee, now that I think about it, this is very specific of the Golfo de Papagayo area. If you stay in Flamingo or elsewhere please let me know and I could provide appropriate info.

Final word, viz. in Costa Rica's North Pacific is not great. That's the way it is. Nutrients rich waters bring plenty of marine life. For me, that's better than cristal clear waters and more predictable underwater scenery. It's a matter of personal preference. Viz. can be very good in Caño Island (south Pacific) and in our Caribbean Coast, although due to usually rough seas and currents there, there's only one diving operation that I know about, Reef Runners. Can't speak for their quality and service as I've never dove with them.

Hope this helps!

Fernando

Thanks for the replies. Your advice is truly appreciated. We don't have a lot of time to travel during the year so we make sure that we are well-prepared before we go on our trips. I will write a full report when we return in October.

ChgoDiver:
Thanks for the replies. Your advice is truly appreciated. We don't have a lot of time to travel during the year so we make sure that we are well-prepared before we go on our trips. I will write a full report when we return in October.

I highly recommend Diving Safaris, which is who Bill Beards travel company uses. They have 5 boats and run trips to just about any dive site. I do not recommend Summer Salt due to their lack of dive community participation. But thats a whole 'nother story.

Oh and Bill Beard is a travel company, Diving Safaris is a dive shop in Playa Hermosa, NOT Playas del Coco. Bill Beards uses DS as its dive company for its tours.

Rivermonkey:
I highly recommend Diving Safaris, which is who Bill Beards travel company uses. They have 5 boats and run trips to just about any dive site. I do not recommend Summer Salt due to their lack of dive community participation. But thats a whole 'nother story.

Oh and Bill Beard is a travel company, Diving Safaris is a dive shop in Playa Hermosa, NOT Playas del Coco. Bill Beards uses DS as its dive company for its tours.

I'm just curious to understand what you mean by "lack of dive community participation". All I can say of SS after diving with them several times is that they are formal, depart on time, know the sites (maybe not all the sites but a good number of them), do provide very good dive masters and offer great service and value for the dollar. They would take your equipment, rinse it and as they have done with me, even deliver it packed to my hotel! I'm usually open to diving with all operations available to test their services because, as often happens, some operations could be fully booked and one is forced to go look for space with somebody else. I'll try Diving Safaris sometime as I only hear good things about them.

SS has a bad rep for screwing over too many good people in Playas del Coco, including local ticos. They owner says he only hires "pretty looking European Instructors" and they have yet to hire a single tico, other than the girl who runs the shop, and thats just to placate the Immigration police.

Also they do not help replace/add moorings, participate in dive shop activities such as Project Aware beach clean-up, or attend local seminars on safety and hyperbaric chamber operation.

Oh and they've been seen fishing at Bat Islands while diving. Bats has been closed by the Costa Rican govt. for many months to all fishing, due to depleted fish stocks.

Time passes, things change...
I know it's not allowed to do publicity here (neither in a positve nor in a negative way), but I still have to correct some things:
By the time all these messages were written, a very bad atmosphere reigned between the dive centers in Coco and everybody would talk bad about the other. This changed with our arriving in Coco, when we bought the Summer-Salt Dive Center in Sept 2005 ralizing, that we got a totally rotten company behind a very nice shop-face. We kept the nice part and put everything else in order including the bad reputation of the previous owners (which was certainly the reason why they sold).
Since then all the dive shop owners have changed and we have a pretty good collaboration. Not participating at the dive community does not mean you don't care, but if you start up a company in a country like Costa Rica there is hardly any time to do so! We went through this and started to charge 1$ to every client for the mooring project just a few months ago. All the dive centers organized a huge beach clean-up on Sept. 17th this year and the dive centers in Coco are about to organize the first DiveFestival in Playas del Coco for next year with lots of diving and non-diving events and seminars.
Who ever you choose to go dive with, I wish it is, as you imagined, if not, talking to the owners is much more efficient than spread out gossip...

Back
Top Bottom