Planning trip for divers and family with medical needs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CanadaDan

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Starting some long range planning with family for a multi generational, multi household trip some with medical issues. Trip will likely happen in 2024. Need some recommendations based on specific criteria:

One non diving member (40) has Crohn's disease
One non diving member (70) has prosthetic leg with good but not perfect mobility
Kids will range in age from 4-16
Adults in their 20's, 40's, 50's and 70's
Wide range of dietary restrictions (kids, vegetarians, Chrohn's, gout)
Three divers (so far)
Travelling from central Canada (Manitoba)
We would prefer AI resorts to make it a true vacation for the adults lol

Ideally we'd head to the Caribbean given the relatively short direct flights. Direct flights are typically available to Cancun, Montego Bay and Puerto Vallarta. Other Caribbean destinations are possible as is Hawaii with connections. That would be the farthest we would consider though.

So we're looking for a country with good medical care available for crohn's, a resort with good programs for children, somewhat level topography for mobility issues and decent diving either with onsite shop or LDS quite close by.

We did Playa Del Carmen (Sandos Caracol Eco) a number of years ago but without the crohn's issue. The worry from the affected family member is more about medical care there.

If anyone here has thoughts/recommendations we would appreciate hearing about them!

Just a couple of questions.

What might the person with Crohn's disease need in terms of medical care?

What types of activities are the children interested in?

Just a couple of questions.

What might the person with Crohn's disease need in terms of medical care?

What types of activities are the children interested in?
Emergency room services for drastic issues/complications. They are primarily worried about service language and quality of treatment. He hasn't traveled much at all because of his condition so I suppose he's primarily looking for some stories of first hand experience that I can pass on to them. Finding a resort after settling on a destination will be relatively easy.

Typically the youngest kids will be fine in a on resort program that basically keeps them entertained while parents relax... glorified daycare lol. The teens are not heavily travelled so if their parents want to do local excursions they will be happy with whatever they get. The non-diving ones like to snorkel but where there's diving there tends to be snorkeling.

Grand Cayman should cover all the bases for you from an island perspective. Things to do top side, first world medical, excellent diving. Not up to speed on AI resorts anywhere as we are pretty much strictly VRBO and the like.

We have done dive trips to Placencia (Belize), Sabang Beach and Anilao (Philippines), Roatan, Cozumel and Cabo Pulmo. The only one that has a quality hospital nearby is Cozumel. It's also flat and has a number of dive shops and resorts. Unfortunately it caters primarily to cruise ship passengers looking to party and shop as well as divers, so if your group doesn't fit those categories they may be a bit bored for things to do.

2024 is a long time away for young ones who won’t be so young anymore and for teens who will be close to young adults. Dropping the AI dive resort will open up a lot more options, given the restrictions of language and medical care.

Haven’t had to deal with their hospital systems. I would tend to think larger populations would support more elaborate hospitals, and touristy places have some English-speaking staff. Cozumel and Curaçao are where I’d start, plus Grand Carmen since I think it’s healthcare has a good reputation. Curaçao has a few AI resorts, including Sunscape Resort Curaçao. Cozumel has AI’s. All : islands are cruise ports with some things to do.

My Research Notes from Planning Cozumel Trip - My Research Notes from Planning Cozumel Trip

Curacao Trip Research Notes
Curacao Trip Report with SB Surge Jan. 2019

2024 is a long time away for young ones who won’t be so young anymore and for teens who will be close to young adults. Dropping the AI dive resort will open up a lot more options, given the restrictions of language and medical care.
I adjusted the ages for the targeted year. The youngest is still in diapers at this point.

We could drop the AI requirement but it tends to be easier with teens and young adults as it allows them to be somewhat independent and not carry means of payment.

Grand Cayman should cover all the bases for you from an island perspective. Things to do top side, first world medical, excellent diving.
& USVI

Or first dives were off St Thomas, we keep getting bumped off St Croix as a destination but will get there eventually. More topside stuff to do on St Thomas, including ferry ride to St. John for the day. The diving off of St. Thomas is often underrated and or overlooked

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom