Planning to be in Belize mid july

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Moose016

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm planning on flying down to Belize for up to 11 days in mid july and I was wondering if anyone else had similar plans for a trip around that time and also any reccomendation on cheap places to stay. I'm not sure whether I will be traveling alone yet, if I'm not I'll probably be staying at one of the resorts in town or on tobacco caye for part of the time. If do have to come alone I'm just looking for the CHEAPEST place to stay for 11 days, so I have more to blow on diving (I have done hostels and am not completely opposed). I'm sure I will be diving with all the reccomended local shops Gaz, protech, amigo delmar, possibly ecodivers and belize diving adventures.

Thanks a lot,

Jamie

Check out ambergriscaye.com . There is a list by price range of hotels in San Pedro..there are several cheaper ones right in downtown. I'd also recommend you check out diving with Chuck & Robbie (http://www.ambergriscayediving.com. I was there last thanksgiving for a week....planning on going back this next christmas.

Thanks Jeff, I've also started checking out Caye Caulker, I may end up staying there, has anyone ever stayed or dove there?

I stayed at Xanadu. It was $200/nt for a 2 bedroom privately owned condo/home with satellite tv, free internet, full kitchen, pillow top beds. So, $100/nt per couple really is reasonable and it was very lush and cozy!

Caye Caulker is more laid back than Ambergris...WAY cheaper too, my buddy and I stayed in a room w/bed and sink and shared bathroom for USD $12.50/night. Also the diving from there is just as good as from Ambergris, as they go to the same places. It is the island just south of Ambergris. I'm going w/my wife at the end of June!

I've been to Belize twice and stayed at both Caulker and San Pedro. Caulker is definetly cheaper (Tina's is pretty much as cheap as it gets), although san pedro isn't bad if you book at Ruby's in advance. Got certified through Belize Diving Services on Caulker. I liked them and they were very accomodating, if you want to do Tourneffe or the Blue Hole, they'll actually call up the other operators on Caulker or San Pedro to get you out there in the event that they aren't heading there in your time frame.

One of the reasons I liked Caulker better than SP (asides from prizes) was that it seemed more Belizean and less touristy, but I saw A LOT of people getting off at Caulker on the boat ride out to San Pedro in March.

Go to Caulker. It is much less touristy, a TON cheaper, and the dive spots are the same. You can stay at Albert's (on the main drag above his market) for $7/night. Tina's is dirt cheap, and there's another (forget the name) that is right next to the Rainbow that is like $10/nt with a private bath. Hotel 1718 or something like that is right at the split and they are cheap, too. There is also some pretty good snorkelin at the split. There is some wreckage at the bottom from the last hurricane and we found 3-4 nurse sharks, 2 midsize and 1 HUGE porcupine fish, rays, lobster, and tons of tropical fish right there. Best to go during slack tide as the current can be wicked. Anyway, we went to San Pedro on a few long surface intervals for lunch and I liked Caulker much better.

Also, if you are traveling alone, it is cheaper (and much, much more convenient) to take the short flight from the airport in Belize City to the Cayes. I think is costs $28. Otherwise it's $25 flat fee cab ride from the airport to the water terminal, then another $7 for the water taxi.

Good luck, PM me if you want to talk about your trip or if you want to see some pics from mine.

Thanks for all the info, I think I'll do the majority of my time on Caulker and try a couple days in san pedro and on ambergis caye. I'll definitely try to dive with you at protech peter peter and give pedro's a try. Also may try a land tour or two, anyone have any suggestions there?

thanks again,

Jamie Moose

I too give Caye Caulker a big thumbs up, you can see my trip report here:
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=120466

We also went to San Ignacio which is an easy trip from Belize City. You can do lots of outdoor activity there like caving, tubing, birding, ect... We took a quick side trip to Tikkal in Guatamala which was a really cool place to visit and easy to get to from San Ignacio. Personally I thought that Belize City was horrible so the less time you spend there probably the better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom