Planning next trip - need suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dierenarts

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Have some time off October 26-Nov 4, wondering about Belize return trip..Placencia or Turneffe any suggestions re:time of year...other great dive destinations I should consider?

Koen

Either destination makes sense so it just depends on what you're looking for.

The resorts on Turneffe are both isolated and inclusive with a deserted island vibe. Placencia is more like AC in that you have to line up your lodging, meals and dive op, giving you more control over the particulars of your trip.

If your main goal is to relax between dives, then I'd suggest Turneffe. If you are looking to do any mainland adventure type things like jungle hiking, Mayan ruins, etc then go to Placencia. And there are places in between, like Hamanasi and Hatchet Caye.

A really good guidebook, although it doesn't focus on diving, is Belize Insight Guide. It breaks down Belize district by district, with lots of maps and color photographs. It will give you a good idea of all that Belize has to offer. I take it with me every time I go.

That's hurricane season. If you go at this time, get travel insurance.

That's hurricane season. If you go at this time, get travel insurance.

Yep, sat through Hurricane Dean on AC in 07 that made landfall in the Yucatan. They closed the airport 3 days before in came ashore. Don't want to do it again.

Back
Top Bottom