Planning First Trip to Catalina

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

George Monnat Jr

Divemaster (DM)
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,

A friend of mine who lives in San Diego and I are planning our first trip to Catalina in the middle of June. We'll be bringing all gear, including drysuits, except tanks and weights and hopefully staying on the island. I found this thread, but it's been 10 years since it was updated. Are Catalina Divers Supply and Scuba Luv still the best two dive shops on the island? Which is your favorite?

Hi there,

You will love Catalina and the Avalon Underwater Park! Catalina Divers Supply and Scuba Luv (operated by Catalina Divers Supply) are both there as well as Ron Moore's Dive Catalina. Right at the dive park is the Catalina Divers Supply fill station and rental shop. They should have tanks and weights for you. Each one of the shops has their strengths and weaknesses. What specifically are you look for, or to do at a Catalina dive shop?

Scuba Luv no longer exists. Catalina Divers Supply took over at least one of their retail spots - the Scuba Luv sign was still up when I was there in October, but it was CDS operating the shop. I'm pretty sure CDS bought out Scuba Luv - the Scuba Luv domain redirects to CDS online. CDS was extremely helpful for my first visit. Here's my basic write up - Catalina First Time - Quick Trip Report

If you're taking the Catalina Express over to the island, check the company's website for baggage restrictions.
There's a spottily enforced 50 pound weight limit on bags.

Some divers get around the restrictions by wearing their weight belts, and even their BCDs or BPs, when they board to lighten their bags.
I prefer to take my own weights. It cuts down a lot on the expensive rental charges.
Sometimes I take a cylinder, sometimes I rent.

Catalina Express allows divers to bring one cylinder aboard, which doesn't count against the baggage weight restriction.
Rental cylinder choices are limited. On busy days the larger steel cylinders rent out fast, leaving only ST72s or mostly AL80s.

Also, get in the boarding line early for your return. The boat fills up fast and seating choices become limited.
Think about upgrading to "Commodore Lounge" for the return and getting a guaranteed seat among other minor perks.

Finally, bring a heavy dose of patience.
In the summer the dive park can get crowded and chaotic, especially since they started renting snorkel gear to non-diving tourists.

With the summer crowds and the hot weather everything takes twice as long as you think it will.

K

Yes, CDS did buy out Scuba Luv but Bob & Tina Kennedy manage the joint operation. And there is Ron Moore's shop as well.

You should be able to see some of the "gentle giants" (giant sea bass, Stereolepis gigas... or as I prefer to call them very large polka-dotted wreckfish) since the started appearing in the shallows a while back (early risers!).

Water is beginning to warm up. I heard 60° F yesterday. Kelp is there but has been affected by the invasive Asian exotic Sargassum horneri (which I've labelled "devil weed")

Thank you all for the excellent info.

@drbill are you back to diving again?

Fun trip, surge was bad but not a regular occurrence. Did not see any sea lions while diving but the kelp was really beautiful. We will go again at some point.

Safe travels,
Jay
Catalina Island trip report

@drbill are you back to diving again?

Not yet. I could but I'm waiting for warmer water and the return of the giant sea bass. There is probably no chance of remission with my cancers.

Back
Top Bottom