planning dive/ruins trip for end of Mar-Apr 2012

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

robindee

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello! I am a single, advanced certified vacation diver that hopes Belize will be the #1 vacation of all time. I love diving, but also love exploring ruins and all adventure activities. I have tenatively booked air flites for the end of march thru beginning of april as it appears to be great diving time, but possibly bad adventure activity time?
I am looking for suggestions of itineraries
I am looking for inexpensive places to stay as a single
Would i need to pre-book dives as a single
I am wondering if it is safe to travel by public bus to the various ruins/and to tikal
Would another time of year enable me to dive and have better conditions for caves, river rafting etc.
Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks

These are the ruins at Xunantunich; still in Belize, but very close to the border with Guatamala. When I looked up Tikal and checked out the Google images, it appeared that the ruins of theTikal site are much more exposed and visible than these, but this was a worthwhile stop. You cross a beautiful river on a hand-cranked ferry. We met a guide there, Mr. Panti, who had worked on the project with archeologists in the 1970's, and appreciated his info. I'll bet you could do both sites in the same day... There's a great restaurant in the little village too, just uphill from the river.

DSC_0606.jpg

Those fellas standing on the top are armed with machine guns. Really friendly and informative about the need for security, but wouldn't allow any close-up photos of themselves. At this distance, though, they were too far away to object :)

Here's a great travel guide: http://www.amazon.com/Belize-Insigh...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1302973651&sr=1-1

I suggest heading south for mainland adventures. Placencia would make an excellent jumping off point.

I took the bus by myself from Placencia to Punta Gorda and back last summer with no issues.

I would contact Splash Dive Center in Placencia regarding diving. I don't think you need to pre-book dives but don't take my word for it. They'll also have suggestions on cheap places to stay.

Tikal. Haven't been there yet but it's on the bucket list. I believe you have to go in a convoy to ward off the banditos.

March/April is a great time for mainland adventures. Rainy season starts in June.

Edit: Steve, I see you just posted. I used the same guide at Xunantunich last summer! Great guy. I'll post his picture when I get home. No armed guards when I was there. Probably ate at the same restaurant. Went on to the border in search of Stone Tree Records in Benque Viejo.

Last edited:
We found Howler Monkeys up there too...

DSC_0074.jpg

These guys make a powerful noise, and were right by the ruins. We saw them on a tour of the Monkey River, as well, another really great trip out of Placencia. We never tried the public buses, just drove everywhere in our rental car, and loved it.

Last edited:
Edit: Steve, I see you just posted. I used the same guide at Xunantunich last summer! Great guy. I'll post his picture when I get home. No armed guards when I was there. Probably ate at the same restaurant. Went on to the border in search of Stone Tree Records in Benque Viejo.

That's cool, Mr. Panti was a treasure trove of the site's history, and brought the place to life.

Here's the photo:

IMG_2687.jpg

Elfego Panti Sr.

And here are some bus shots for the OP's reference. Sorry for the thumbnails but ever since ScubaBoard switched formats this is what happens. Very cheap, albeit slow, way to get around.

Attachments

• IMG_2730.jpg
    IMG_2730.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_2790.jpg
    IMG_2790.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
thanks for your suggestions - so now i have firm plans and will head inland to check out mayan ruins, caves, etc first and from there head to san pedro and hope to dive several days and include Hol Chan Marine reserve, blue hole day, Bacalar Chico Marine & Nature Reserve, M and M Caverns or Punta Azul Canyons, Half Moon Caye, the Aquarium, Silver Caves or Eagle Ray Wall, turneffe atoll wall dive called the Elbow or a wreck called the Sayonara. are these a good representation or should i hit others? and can you recommend a dive shop that is safe but not expensive? i will bring my mask and snorkle, but will need to rent equipment. i have a flite out at 11.30am - do u think i can stay in san pedro the nite before and make a ferry out and over to BZ city and the airport in time to catch my flite? any suggestions will be appreciated. i have 6 days on the caye.. thanks!!

so now i have firm plans and will head inland to check out mayan ruins, caves, etc first
***I suggest going to San Ignacio (by bus from Belize City. There are several cheap places to stay there and it's a good jumping off point for ruins etc. You can comfortably go to Xunantunich and Cahal Pech in one day, but to go to Tikal is a considerable expedition - pretty costly - and you really need to allocate three days just to it. I'd skip it this time around. One set of ruins you can visit in a day trip is Caracol, and from what I hear (I haven't been there) it's well worth while. Another expedition to make from San Ignacio is a visit to the wet cave at Actun Tunichil Muknal ("ATM"). Read up about it - it's something many people come to Belize just to do.

and from there head to san pedro and hope to dive several days and include Hol Chan Marine reserve, blue hole day, Bacalar Chico Marine & Nature Reserve, M and M Caverns or Punta Azul Canyons, Half Moon Caye, the Aquarium, Silver Caves or Eagle Ray Wall, turneffe atoll wall dive called the Elbow or a wreck called the Sayonara. are these a good representation or should i hit others?
*** Don't be too prescriptive about the sites you want to visit, as shops may not go there that day. Of the local ones only Hol Chan and maybe Bacalar Chico will be choosable by you. Several of the sites you list are on outlying atolls and the trips there will be whold day affairs and quite pricey.

and can you recommend a dive shop that is safe but not expensive? i will bring my mask and snorkle, but will need to rent equipment
*** there are several good shops, mostly charging the same prices (because they all have the same costs - it's not a conspiracy). Some are cheaper, some more expensive, and I'd tend to disregard those. My personal favourite is Island Divers, but Chuck 'n Robbies, Reef Adventures, Amigos del Mar, Hugh Parkey's Belize Dive Connection all have good names and loyal followings.

. i have a flite out at 11.30am - do u think i can stay in san pedro the nite before and make a ferry out and over to BZ city and the airport in time to catch my flite?

*** Yes, you can - you can catch the 9am Tropic Air flight which will have you at the International Airport before 9:30. Personally I wouldn't trust Maya to that schedule - if I went with them I'd catch their 8am. The point is that they often give a considerable discount for cash, but their departure times can be pretty erratic. You can set your watch by Tropic. Don't even consider going by boat - it'll take too long and be too unpredictable.

There's a Mayan site on Ambergris Caye, but no ruins as such. The easiest ones to visit from San Pedro are at Lamanai, a boat trip and day's expedition.

Wow, that's one packed agenda! You're going to need a vacation to recover from your vacation.

The only thing I would add is to scratch the Sayanora off your list. It was a wooden boat purposely sunk many years ago by the folks at Turneffe Island Resort. There's not much left except for some metal railings and cables, which frankly ought to be cleaned up by TIR.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom