Planning a trip to NZ...when to go?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mel.B

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm starting to plan my trip to NZ for 2008 (ok, so I like to get things started early and be organised:rolleyes: )

I'll be attending a work conference at the end of May (25 - 29). In terms of viz and general conditions am I better off planning my diving for the 3 weeks prior to the conference, or after the conference in June? I'll have a dry suit so temps not an issue.

I've found this website http://www.splash.co.nz/nzdivetrail/ that gives a good start with planning dives and locations...does anyone have any to add to the list? Is there any diving north of the Bay of Islands region? I lived near Whangaroa harbour while on student exchange 10yrs ago (!) and from memory there looks like there could be lots of great places for diving.

Thanks heaps,
Mel.b

My opinion is that June has better viz because the water is cooler which means no spawning of fish, kelp etc.

The dive trail thing is ok but is a commercial venture. Those who paid first were in first.
Whangaroa has some excellent diving nearby as does the Bay of Islands, Poor Knights Islands, and the hauraki gulf.
Literally there is great diving all over.

If you can give me some idea of what you like I can throw some good dive sites at you.

If you come to NZ please feel free to contact us as we would be happy to look after you at Poor Knights Divers - www.pkdive.co.nz

TutukakaGirl:
If you come to NZ please feel free to contact us as we would be happy to look after you at Poor Knights Divers - www.pkdive.co.nz
If you dive the Poor Knights (You Should) I would recommend this outfit. Superb service and they really want to take you to the the best spots.

Over the many years I'ved dived the PKs I would go for late Feb and March
for good vis.

Thats also the best time for settled weather...........at present the viz
aint that great.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom