Planning a trip for September

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

+1 for Peter's in Sogod Bay, but also +1 for Anilao. Anilao is much more convenient to get to.

I suggest you rethink the no night dives policy. Just a couple weeks ago I went back to Animal and did a night dives at the "pier" (not really a pier). No coral to bump into, just a flat muck substrate with a max depth of about 6 or 7 meters to see the good stuff. It was amazing.

As mentioned previously, the night dive under the Padre Burgos pier in Sogod Bay is also very, very good, but it is actually under a pier, so there are concrete pillars to bump into … still, it's worth the minor risk.

* back to Anilao

Autocorrect can be a little too helpful sometimes …

if you have time consider jumping over the channel for sometime in Puerto galera, 40 dive sites within a max 15 minute boat ride from the resorts.
Thanks for the hint will look at it.

+1 for Peter's in Sogod Bay, but also +1 for Anilao. Anilao is much more convenient to get to.

I suggest you rethink the no night dives policy. Just a couple weeks ago I went back to Animal and did a night dives at the "pier" (not really a pier). No coral to bump into, just a flat muck substrate with a max depth of about 6 or 7 meters to see the good stuff. It was amazing.

As mentioned previously, the night dive under the Padre Burgos pier in Sogod Bay is also very, very good, but it is actually under a pier, so there are concrete pillars to bump into … still, it's worth the minor risk.
Makhno: Love your thinking and I love diving under piers. If I am near one, will jump in after sundown and hope to survive!!!!
Maybe a bigger light, anyone got an old search light they want to sell?

LINE_MOVIE_1551104082680

Melibe (one of many) on the Anilao pier night dive.

Must have been 20 coconut octopuses and a blue ring or two as well.

And lots more.

I might lean toward Sogod Bay as being slightly better than Anilao, but it's a hard choice … more hairy frogfish in Sogod; more mimic octopuses in Anilao. Either way, you can't lose.

I think nobody mentioned the following: Cabilao, Anda, Dumaluan and Alona beach in Bohol and Moalboal with the school of sardines in Cebu. All of them in central Visayas region, not far from Cebu. These are other options

You might enjoy taking a look at this website. Click on Destinations and scroll down to the Philippines.
I am headed there in 6 weeks myself- Can't wait.

I think nobody mentioned the following: Cabilao, Anda, Dumaluan and Alona beach in Bohol and Moalboal with the school of sardines in Cebu. All of them in central Visayas region, not far from Cebu. These are other options

Very true, those are all Excellent dive areas, and certainly worth the travel to get there. I think they were not mentioned in this thread because he was looking for easy accessibility. Some of those locations take 5+ hours to get to.

Agreeing with what has already been said and I would like to add Cebu - Mactan Island as a second choice. I spent almost a week at Fun and Sun Dive and Travel the first week February 2019. There was no pool but it had a decent house reef. Spartan rooms but big enough and clean for a solo diver. Their neighbour is a 4-5 star resort - Plantation Bay Resort and Spa (Mactan Island). You might split your accommodation between the two on your rest days. Or go into Cebu proper for other dining and entertainment options. Staying in Sun Fun Dive and Travel's dive centre accommodation at Mactan is a bit rustic, but high quality, outdoor living experience. They also have other dive centres so you could dive out of more than one dive centre.

The nice thing about my experience at Fun and Sun Dive and Travel is that I was their only diving client; they had multiple Island Hopping clients that they take to the nearby islands for snorkelling and other activities. I also saw few divers at the dive sites; indeed, we were often alone. They have lots of general staff who drop what they are doing to help the boat captain, dive master and clients; there is no need to carry your gear. (This extra service was much appreciated by this old fart.)

Most of the dives I did were easy drift dives. The boat captain and crew looked out for our bubbles and safety sausage for a quick pickup. Some of the surface intervals were completed back at the dive centre that was only a 10 minute boat ride away.

Basic bacon and eggs breakfast was included in the accomodation price. Their surface interval BBQ was squid, pork and chicken, served with rice. Fresh banana and mango was our dessert. You need to arrange for supper on your own and there are many options.

Take care,

GJS

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom