Planning 2 Week Trip to Thailand/Vietnam + Week on Liveaboad

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubagolf

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My wife and I (experience = 200/300 dives) are starting to plan a trip in early 2019 starting with 10-12 days topside touring Vietnam and Thailand followed by a week on a liveaboard. We are thinking a small size group tour for the Vietnam/Thailand part, and a “luxury” liveaboard, possibly in the Similan Islands on the west coast of Thailand. Any suggestions for a topside tour operator and/or liveaboards?

I have no feedback or experience with Thailand liveaboards but 10-12 days for land in Thailand and Vietnam doesn’t sound like enough. Could you do just one or the other? (Thailand was fantastic!) Then again, I could easily burn many days at the beaches. :)

I have no feedback or experience with Thailand liveaboards but 10-12 days for land in Thailand and Vietnam doesn’t sound like enough. Could you do just one or the other? (Thailand was fantastic!) Then again, I could easily burn many days at the beaches. :)

I could be wrong, but I interpreted @Scubagolf to be saying that they plan on 10-12 days of topside travel in Vietnam and Thailand (I assume Vietnam first) and then an additional week on a liveaboard in Thailand. If I am correct, I am just going to comment on the Vietnam portion at this point and will need some additional info and confirmation B4 commenting on other ideas.

Topside in Vietnam, depending on # of days, I would prioritize the following:
1. Hanoi is an amazing city. I just love it for so many reasons.
2. Halong Bay is a must see and must do. Give yourself 2 days and 1 night on a houseboat. Plenty of tour companies in Hanoi offering this trip with daily departures from various downtown Hanoi locations.
3. Since you posted on Scubaboard and are a diver, then I'd make my way south from Hanoi along the coast via train/bus and give myself a few days in the gorgeous and historic Portuguese/Vietnamese port town of Hoi An. I would also, at a bare minimum, give myself a 2 tank boat dive excursion from Hoi An out to the Cham Islands. Great day of diving and buffet lunch on one of the island beaches. Cham Island Diving – Hoi An, Vietnam or Hoi An Diving Center, Five Star PADI Scuba Dive Center - Hoi An Diving Center, Five Star PADI Scuba Dive Center
4. I would go nowhere near Saigon and then just hop over to Thailand for the remainder of your topside days prior to a liveaboard.
5. If I were to do a liveaboard out of Thailand, then I am heading up to the Similans or Mergui Archipelago (Burma/Myanmar) for sure.
6. Your timing is perfect in terms of time of year to dive and visit these 2 great countries. Dry season and cooler topside temps.

I could be wrong, but I interpreted @Scubagolf to be saying that they plan on 10-12 days of topside travel in Vietnam and Thailand (I assume Vietnam first) and then an additional week on a liveaboard in Thailand.

That's what I thought it meant, too. 10-12 days for both countries doesn't sound like enough! You could easily do just Thailand in 10-12 days. Minimal time in Bangkok (2 days), Chiang Mai (so much to do here!...minimum 3-4 days), then go south for the beaches to bum on those for a bit before hopping onto a liveaboard. They could even go to Cambodia and see Angkor Wat, etc., if they have never been there before and have an interest in archaeological ruins.

That's what I thought it meant, too. 10-12 days for both countries doesn't sound like enough! You could easily do just Thailand in 10-12 days. Minimal time in Bangkok (2 days), Chiang Mai (so much to do here!...minimum 3-4 days), then go south for the beaches to bum on those for a bit before hopping onto a liveaboard. They could even go to Cambodia and see Angkor Wat, etc., if they have never been there before and have an interest in archaeological ruins.

I'd highly recommend Angkor Wat - it's stunning!

My wife and I (experience = 200/300 dives) are starting to plan a trip in early 2019 starting with 10-12 days topside touring Vietnam and Thailand followed by a week on a liveaboard. We are thinking a small size group tour for the Vietnam/Thailand part, and a “luxury” liveaboard, possibly in the Similan Islands on the west coast of Thailand. Any suggestions for a topside tour operator and/or liveaboards?

The Dive Andaman is beautiful and I'd definitely recommend that vessel for a luxury liveaboard. They cater for 14 divers and have similans safaris at that time of year, as you'd expect. The Giamani and Miss Moon cater for a maximum of 10 divers and are less luxurious but offer the benefit of small group size.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom