Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FyshEye

Contributor
Reaction score
No matter where I am... I will always be there...
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I looking for a plan "B". I recently booked a freedive trip to Tonga that would put me on a photography tour to freedive with the Humpback Whales at the end of August, This was supposed to be my "50th" birthday trip to myself.

Unfortunately, I had to cancel the trip due to a schedule conflict with my boss. Who will be in Italy for a wedding. So I am looking for a plan "B" into Mexico. I would like to do the snorkeling off Isla Holbox or Isla Mujeres with the Whale Sharks.

What I am looking for are some suggestion on tours guilds or a photography tour, and recommendation of "all inclusive" resorts. You only turn 50 once, right?

I have a three week window in July and in August. I will be traveling with a non-diver, but she snorkels if she doesn't get violently seasick...

Any suggestion, recommendations or maybe steer me in a different direction would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Mexico instead of Tonga???? Yow, that sucks.

You've got a lot of things to decide upon.I'll help you with a couple: Holbox or Isla Mujeres for your whale sharks -Choose Isla Mujeres, that will give you blue water and better viz versus green water and poor viz. All the pics and vids you see of the whale sharks, if they are in blue water, that's the Isla Mujeres version. The Holbox whale shark biz is about dead due to the far superior Isla Mujeres version that took over in the last decade.

To try to make up for Tonga a bit more, have you considered a split Mexico trip, do the whale sharks and the Yucatan thing for a week and then get over to the sea of cortez for the rest?

I agree with mmmbelows, if your priority is the sharks you must go to Isla Mujeres or anywhere close to CAncun for that matter. What I have done is I stay in Cancun and I go with Solo Buceo, Hands down the best dive shop in Cancun and they have given me some amazing moments with the whale sharks because they leave earlier than most other dive shops so you are the first one there and that my friend is priceless!
If you are in the Riviera Maya you can also go to Akumal to snorkel with the turtles, no boat ride, just swim out and you start seeing them about 50ft from shore.
I highly recommend where I live, Cozumel Island is a most for divers, snorkelers and even just vacation for the all inclusive resorts.
I hope this helps and I hope you can do the TOnga trip one day because that just looks sensational!

Tell me about it!

Thank you for the information. Do you have a recommendation on a place to stay?

Where are you looking to stay? If it's Cancun just go on expedia and close your eyes and pick one...

Cancun is the biggest tourist area, huge mega resorts are the norm, easy to get to since you fly direct into Cancun, least authentic Mexican experience, most people hardly leave their resort the whole time they are there. Simplest launching point to do whale shark tours. So so diving location, depends on your expectations. On a scale of 1 to 100 with Tonga being a 100, Cancun is about a 5. Most selection of all inclusives.

Isla Mujeres across the channel from Cancun, most cosmopolitan, best eating experience if you like a mixture of cultures. Dead quiet, small island, no rental cars, you rent a golf cart to get around, 2nd best or even better than Cancun for whale shark tour base. Many whale shark operators include a stop at Isla Mujeres on the way back, they stop in the north lagoon, make snacks, let your frolic in the water. Isla is a short ferry ride across the channel from Cancun. Tiny dive community, shares many dive sites with Cancun, but can be a bit better dive experience, Cancun is tainted with pretty much everything is a tourist money grab, it colors every experience there.

Playa Del Carmen - 2nd now only to Cancun, grown exponentially in last 10 years, very touristy, one step down from Cancun, still able to have a more relaxed time but you will have to dig in deeper to find it. Diving is so-so, nothing great except - has 2 very unique dives - tortugas - tons of turtles, bull shark dive - only in winter. Great location if you are going to do a lot of main land activities - cenotes, beaches, ruins, adventures etc...few all inclusives, most found just north of city

Cozumel - best diving in the area If Tonga is 100, Cozumel is about a 40. Comparing just diving in Mexico, Cozumel is an 80-90 out of 100. Larger than Isla Mujeres, take the ferry across from Playa Del Carmen after flying into Cancun and making your way to Playa or fly in to Cozumel Airport. Huge cruise ship destination, island is filled with tourist during the day, after 5 it's you and the locals, don't go there for the beach, hardly exists, people go there to dive. Pretty 'mexican' after cruise ships are gone. few all inclusives, most toward south end of island

Akumal - south of Playa Del Carmen - quiet, relaxed, getting more 'Mexican' as you're heading south from Cancun, best snorkeling around, always see turtles snorkeling, diving is worst of all locations discussed so far. Another good base if you're focusing on the main land activities.

Tulum - about the farthest south most people will stay. ECO friendly, still Bohemian, still back packer like, some cosmopolitan Euro like resorts (small boutique size 5-20 rooms) of course you have Tulum ruins and easiest access to large ruins on main land, like Coba, Chitzen Itza etc... you want the least developed spot this is it. Absolutely best beaches anywhere in this area hands down.

What are you looking for? Is convenience to whale sharks top priority? Big resort all inclusive big priority? Touring? Diving? Beaches? Small authentic experience?

Last edited:
Thank you mmmbelows! That is a big help for me to choose an area! I think I am leaning toward Akumal now, I think. or maybe Tulum. :) Only 2 divers in our group of 5, so scuba will be happening, but will not be the main focus this time. I will want the best beach snorkeling, and we like casual, but not rustic accommodations. We don't usually like AI. I'm trying to find rooms for 2 couples and a single guy for Christmas time. We definitely don't need golf courses, or touristy shops. We will enjoy ruins, and nature tours, and a little (hopefully good) diving.

Send your boss to Belize. Have him dive with Walter, Walter White of Heisenberg Diving.

You go to Tonga.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom