Places with minimal current

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Best advice you have already. Embrace the current, it beats using flippers.

Any decent dive op or liveaboard will place a pickup boat exactly above your head.

Fall in. Get neutral. Relax and take the ride.

If you’re swimming against it, you’re doing it wrong. :banghead:
It is not that simple sometimes eg. Cauldron/Shotgun in Komodo.

It is not that simple sometimes eg. Cauldron/Shotgun in Komodo.
Yes, avoid any dive named Washing Machine, Heart Attack, African Express, etc.

Similar to ski areas, but beware what seems a bunny run called, “Thumper” or “Rabid Rabbit”.

Only a very able person can keep apace (for a short time) against a 1/2 MPH current.

Yes, avoid any dive named Washing Machine, Heart Attack, African Express, etc.

Similar to ski areas, but beware what seems a bunny run called, “Thumper” or “Rabid Rabbit”.

Only a very able person can keep apace (for a short time) against a 1/2 MPH current.
On LoB that means the diver has to sit out the paid dive(s).
Swimming across current is equally hard.
Flow with the current is easy but being carried away is something else.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Thread merged with duplicate thread in Divers With Disabilities

Has he considered getting a dive scooter? A proper one not one of the cheap toys.
He had not considered a scooter at the time that I first posted this, but now he's looking at them. Can you tell me what to look for in a proper one? I don't want to spend a lot, but don't want to buy crap only to have to buy a better one later. Are they allowed on most dive boats? I don't know why they wouldn't be, but I've never seen anyone with a scooter before so maybe they're not always allowed?

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Thread merged with duplicate thread in Divers With Disabilities
I think it should have been merged to the duplicate thread in Divers With Disabilities.

To me, the real issue here is not a travel question, it's how to handle diving with someone with limited ability to move through the water.

Not sure if this is the place to discuss this, but maybe it is. My husband has some health issues that have resulted in his being limited to diving in places with little to no current. Most locations have a variety, which would result in his having to sit out a lot of the dives on a liveaboard. With dive shops, it’s the same and a lot of times they don’t decide which site they’re going to until everyone is already on the boat. Of course the current for some sites fluctuates day to day and you just don’t know until you’re in the water. We want to find places where we could go and not have to worry. We are especially interested in Maldives, Bonaire, Red Sea, but are concerned about the question of current. Does anyone have suggestions? Thanks,
Nassau, Yucatan Playa de Carmen need a place sleeps 6 Playa de Carmen let me know. Yucatan resort available

I just returned from 2 weeks of diving in Roatan. I encountered nearly no current at any time.

One day the DM said we were heading for a site that was going to have a big current. My wife is a snorkeler, and he told her the site we were going to is normally excellent for snorkeling, but not with the ripping current out there that day. She elected not to go.

When we got there, the DM said that we would need to do the dive as a drift dive rather than a moored dive because of that current. We jumped in the water, and when I could not detect a current, I hovered to see which way it was going. I couldn't tell at first, but after a while I could see that I was s l o w l y moving in a direction. When the dive was over, we asked what had happened to the current. The DM seemed puzzled--couldn't we tell there was a current?

So that was the worst current I encountered in those two weeks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom