Places with minimal current

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cozumel currents are a mixed bag. You can definitely find yourself having to fight the current on drift dives there. I suspect there are places where the drift diving is truly easy, but I can't think of any off the top of my head. There have been some dives on some trips where I just floated along almost never needing to kick, but I can't recall a trip where every or even most dives were like that.

There are many dive sites on Bonaire where currents are usually mild, but there is always a perceptible current in one direction or the other. If you swim out to the drop-off, the current will either want to take you north or south, depending on the site. Sometimes you hardly notice you are swimming against current, but there is no guarantee it won't be stronger at times at the same site.

Bonaire and Curacao usually fit your requirements. I imagine there are some times where current could be problematic, but not during my dive days at either location. As you know, both provide ample options for boat and shore diving, and you both are the best to decide if shore diving is feasible given health issues. I just spent a month at Curacao, and saw no current during the entire month, and shore dive entries at Curacao, are generally a lot easier IMO. Boat dives at both locations are great, and if getting up the ladder with gear is a problem, dive ops are very accommodating at letting you doff the gear before climbing the ladder.

Depending on the dive if there is little to no current he will have to fin the whole time. Make sure that he can fin the whole dive to keep up with the group if that type of dive opposed to a light current dive that does some of the work for him.

Depending on the dive if there is little to no current he will have to fin the whole time. Make sure that he can fin the whole dive to keep up with the group if that type of dive opposed to a light current dive that does some of the work for him.

With reference to what @KDAD said above, if you decide to go to Curacao, I can highly recommend Ocean Encounters for boat dives and The Dive Bus for shore dives. Both do very slow, relaxed, and fun dives, with ample opportunity to just be still and watch the wildlife. I hate diving with DMs that treat a dive like a race around the course, and whenever I find a dive op that does that, they go into my "I won't be back" file.

Choose the destination carefully.
Anilao and Lembeh Strait attract photographers from all over the world with good reasons. And most of them if not all would prefer minimum or no current. With heavy photographic equipment to carry, swimming is the least they wanted.

Have been cave diving with this guy... Perhaps he would be a good contact for your husband. YouTube... Team Peg Leg.

Maldives is a no go! There are very very few sites with minimal current.

Check with the local dive ops. Caribbean sites can be dramatically different depending on the time of year and the resultant prevailing winds.

Hello Mods,
There are two identical threads, written by @jomcclain. Some SB members have contributed on one thread and others on the second. Perhaps these two threads could be combined.so we can have all responses in one thread.
Thank you.

Roatan out of West End

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom