Places with minimal current

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jomcclain

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Not sure if this is the place to discuss this, but maybe it is. My husband has some health issues that have resulted in his being limited to diving in places with little to no current. Most locations have a variety, which would result in his having to sit out a lot of the dives on a liveaboard. With dive shops, it’s the same and a lot of times they don’t decide which site they’re going to until everyone is already on the boat. Of course the current for some sites fluctuates day to day and you just don’t know until you’re in the water. We want to find places where we could go and not have to worry. We are especially interested in Maldives, Bonaire, Red Sea, but are concerned about the question of current. Does anyone have suggestions? Thanks,

My husband has some health issues that have resulted in his being limited to diving in places with little to no current. Most locations have a variety, which would result in his having to sit out a lot of the dives on a liveaboard. With dive shops, it’s the same and a lot of times they don’t decide which site they’re going to until everyone is already on the boat. Of course the current for some sites fluctuates day to day and you just don’t know until you’re in the water. We want to find places where we could go and not have to worry. We are especially interested in Maldives, Bonaire, Red Sea, but are concerned about the question of current. Does anyone have suggestions? Thanks,

Look for sites where you can plan on drifting with the current instead of having to swim against it to return to the boat or entry point. Liveaboards such as the ones at Cocos do all their dives from inflatables/pangas, for instance, which just follow along on the surface to pick you up. Dives off Cozumel are similar. On Bonaire, OTOH, you would need to return to where you entered and left your vehicle, current or not, the same with sites where you need to return to the liveaboard at a mooring.

Reactions: Doc
Bonaire generally has minimal currents inside the elbow and around Klein Bonaire.

The potential down side to Bonaire could be some of the entries and exits, especially if the medical concerns are related to peak exertion.

Is the problem swimming against a current (something I’d prefer to avoid myself if there’s not a good reason), or any current at all even when going with it? What about mild drifts where they pick you up at the end?

If current is a concern, I would not even consider going to the Maldives. You can probably find some current free dives there, but possibly not worth traveling there for that.

Plenty of diving with little-no current in Bonaire, especially if you shore dive and are picking the dives. Curacao sites are more likely than Bonaire to have a little current but still not generally much if any. Cayman doesn’t tend to have currents either and it seems some ops will tend to avoid them. It’s always good to talk to an op about what you need. In some places hiring a private DM and doing more of your own thing, with potential assistance, might be a help.

Except for specific destinations and locations known for it like Coz, most Carribean destinations aren’t that currenty especially compared to the Indo-Pacific.

Is it swimming against the currents that is an issue? If so what about places where drift diving is common and you don't have to fight it?

Is it swimming against the currents that is an issue? If so what about places where drift diving is common and you don't have to fight it?
Swimming again the current is the issue, but even in drift dives this can become a problem. We just got back from Cozumel where we did drifts. However there were times when we had to swim perpendicular to the current, which was a problem for husband. Once my drifted away from the group because he had misunderstood where we were going. He was unable to swim perpendicular to get back, which was a big problem. So, drift diving doesn’t entirely resolve the problem. Therefore, I’m looking for places with little to know current.

I think you are on the right forum, but asking the wrong question. What you need to know is places that can accommodate a diver with limited ability to move through the water.

This could be drift dives as long as you have a dedicated DM and understanding with the boat that it will come to you when needed.

As an aside, have you thought all this through with regards to your safety? You are essentially diving solo if you can't rely on your buddy to help out physically. If you aren't trained and equipped for solo diving, you should probably have a dedicated DM on anything beyond shallow house reef type dives.

If current is an issue then LoB is NOT really suitable.
Maldives also offers resort based diving. Have to contact the resort and raised the question with them.
Anilao in Philippines, Koh Tao in Thailand and Lembeh Strait in Indonesia are three places that current is more or less non existence. Lembeh is the mecca for macro and Anilao is NOT that far behind. As already suggested, dedicated DM is readily available in all these three places.
AFAIK most resorts in SE Asia can offer benign sites to suit the demand of the individual. BTW, shore dive is rarely offered except in very few places eg. Tulamben in Bali.
Puerto Galera in Philippines is very unique in SE Asia because nearly all the sites are within 15 mins from the resort. Therefore the dive boat is only going out for one dive and then return to base. A lot easier to arrange the dive especially there will be two of you. Anilao is just across the channel so two centres dive can readily planned. The only issue at the moment is the covid-19 because the country is more or less closed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom