Places to dive with young kids

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NickW

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi - I'm new here. Only done a couple of dives - in Roatan and St. Lucia years ago. Additionally, I am currently working as the physician on an around the world by private jet trip and I just dove twice - one with Manta Rays in Bora Bora, and one on the GBR, and I'm totally hooked. I want to get certified, however I also have three young kids (ages 4,6, and 8) that I like to travel with. I'm also a travel junkie and like interesting and exotic cultural destinations. I am looking for two places where I can go with my kids and initially get certified and then dive for several hours in the morning while my kids are playing and then spend the afternoon and evening hanging out with them.

I am thinking about doing a week-long trip over new years and then another week long trip in late February - both with kids. Then I'm planing on going to Vanuatu for 2-3 weeks without my kids in March to dive and explore the various cultures and landscapes of Vanuatu which is supposed to be awesome. The diving is also supposed to be good there - so although that's not the only draw its a decent part of it.

After doing some research it looks like one of the Beaches resorts might be the most practical option for the first week trip - as much as I have always sworn I would never do a package all inclusive destination (I used to deliver sailboats professionally for many years ago in my past life - and snuck into many of those in my youth!) They seem like they might be the most practical initially and super fun for young kids. The Beaches resorts have things like waterparks and included kids camp and nannies that would be perfect for my kids, and PADI training available and 2 dives/day included in the all-inclusive price.

My question is does this seem ike a good idea? It doesn't need to be the best diving (that can come later) - I feel like I just really need to get trained and certified first.

My next question is if I choose one of them which would you recommend? The three Beaches resorts are in Providenciales, T&C, and Ocho Rios and Negril, Jamaica. My understanding is that Negril is probably better diving than Ocho Rios, and that T&C is much better than Jamaica - but many of the dives in T&C are deeper walls and more advanced and further away from shore than Jamaica. So which one would you choose?

In terms of the second trip I found some nice-looking resorts near Hopkins, Belize that have childcare if I were to do morning dives. And my understanding is that the diving in Belize is excellent. Plus there are also interesting things inland for the kids like Mayan ruins, caves, rainforest etc.

Does this seem like a wise plan? Any issues or better recommendations?

Thanks for your help!

Nick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom