Places to certify students in Georgia...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaDocER

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I have a question. Is there a place in Georgia that Instructors have taken students or that divers have been taken to get their OW, AOW, etc.? I ask because Dive Haven closed (as I understand it) and thus far Alabama and Florida is where I have taken students. I have not dove Lake Lanier or other water sites in Georgia but it would be nice to have a closer alternative than leaving the state. Preferably closer to Atlanta but I would love to know about other sites.

Lanier has to be challenging for instructors because of viz. But they have at West Bank. What about Lake Jocassee? Good viz, shore access. If I'm going to drive 70 miles to Lanier, I just drive the extra miles to Jocassee.

There is also Loch-Low-Minn up in Athens, TN.

Georgia is woefully short on good venues in the Atlanta area for certification.

Wish I had the money to build one.

the K

I was at Loch Low Minn last month. Very very cold. The viz was good as you went deeper, but the water temp was ridiculously cold to me. Was just hoping that someone had ideas of a closer place. If not then I'll stay with the usual.

I was at Loch Low Minn last month. Very very cold. The viz was good as you went deeper, but the water temp was ridiculously cold to me. Was just hoping that someone had ideas of a closer place. If not then I'll stay with the usual.

What was the temp?

High 50's below the thermocline.

the K

Thanks, time to dust off the dry suit.

K's right. I was in a 5 mm (stupid I know) and could not stay below the thermocline. Last time I was at Loch Low Minn was during my ITC which was in August of 07 and the water was warm above 30'. I heard there were some dive sites in North Georgia that people use. Anyone heard of them?

Well, there was Dive Haven, but it's closed until further notice.

I'm not personally aware of any others.

the K

ABWA is my favorite place but the shop I work with doesn't like me taking students there because they don't scratch backs or some such nonsense. But you could probably do just about everything but boat diver there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom