Placencia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Krisher

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm also going to be heading to Placencia from June 29th to July 6th.

Can anyone recommend any "must dive" sites?

And any quality Dive Operators?

Thanks again!

Lots of dives inside the barrier reef, like the Silk Cayes, or Pompion Caye. But several dive boats from Placencia come all the way up to our area here in the upper part of the South Water Caye Marine Reserve to do wall dives that are spectacular. It is a long boat run though, so pick a comfortable boat like the one that Avadon has. Or split up your trip and do some diving while staying up around the South Water Caye Reserve and take a run out to Glovers and then do diving from Placencia. That would be a great dive vacation.

Some other areas inside the reef off of Placencia also have huge cracks in the local reef substructure due to the recent earthquake (7.1 last week) and I have learned that the local fisheries department is diving several of the sites to determine how deep the new fissures run. Some preliminary data shows that several run very deep now and that they may extend all the way out to the barrier reef. Those may make interesting dive sites now.

Must dive sites in Belize, not necessarily that close to Placencia, are Long Caye wall at Glovers Reef, the Elbow at Turneffe, Half Moon Caye wall and Long Caye Aquarium at Lighthouse Reef, the Abyss and Long Reef wall at the South Water Caye Marine Reserve, and whale sharks at Gladdens Spit during the full moons cycles of April, May, and June. Those dives can all be done from a central location or as more costly, longer runs from Placencia on a big boat. Folks from up in San Pedro can give you some great dive sites up there as well, but they will not be doable from Placencia.

My family of four just returned from Placencia on 6/10/2009. We did 12 dives with Avadon Divers and had an excellent experience. Would definitely dive again with them.
*new equipment (no frayed or torn BC's)
*very nice boat
*great staff--knowledgeable, attentive AND friendly
*I believe our dive groups were eight people or less

I did some dives with Seahorse Dive Shop in December 2008. The staff is friendly and they try to accommodate your needs. We went to Glovers atoll, which has great dive sites but the boat ride was VERY long and bumpy.

Avadon Divers was the BEST! I was a nervous new diver booked to do a whale shark dive with them and nearly cancelled (had a bad experience at Hol Chan), but they were able to help me through my fears and I feel much more confident now about my skills. And yes, I did see a whale shark:) They have a large, well-equipped boat and very knowledgeable and personable divemasters/staff. One of the other, more experienced divers in our group had been diving in Placencia for a few years, but it was his first time with Avadon - he too felt that they were far and away the best and most professional op in the area and said he would dive with them exclusively going forward.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom