Placencia/September

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jlevine

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

I am considering a two week trip to Belize in September, half in Placencia and half in Ambergris. I do have one concern and would welcome your feedback. When I was in Ambergris at approximately the same time last year, it was definitely a slow period and I noticed that some dive shops didn't have enough people to go out. On Ambergris, that wasn't a problem because there were enough shops open so that you knew someone would be going out, even if it wasn't your original shop. I wrote to Patty at Splash Divers in Placencia. What a nice woman! She answered all my questions, but did say she needs two divers to go out at a minimum. Is it reasonable to assume that I will get some dives in? Or might I be totally out of luck at this time of the year in Placencia?

I appreciate any input any of you can provide!

Thanks!

jsl

Try asking the other two main operators in Placencia, Avadon and Seahorse. Their problem is that the reef is a long way away and a boat uses a lot of fuel making the journey. But yes, if there aren't any other divers you could find yourself not doing any diving at all. At least Placencia is close to some rather good land sites you can visit.

In San Pedro the reef is very close and you will find some operators will take you out by yourself (but be careful - many won't). They'll still be losing money, but if you've booked a week's diving with them they'll be more prepared to accept the loss. One shop I have in mind that does this is Island Divers, and I used to when I was running my dive business. Your clout is much greater if you book your diving in advance and pay at least a deposit.

This isn't only in Belize. Up in Mexico you won't find a boat that's prepared to leave with fewer than four divers. Even if you've booked and paid in advance they'll just offer you your money back at best, or more likely give you a "free" ticket for another occasion. I have one of those that I'll never use.

But you're right that it is a very quiet time of the year throughout Belize, with good reason. It is the one month when a hurricane or severe storm is most likely, so I strongly recommend you buy good trip insurance asap, before any storms for that period are predicted. Once they are you'll find insurance well-nigh impossible to get. There's no danger to life and limb as we always get several days' notice of an incoming storm, but there is always the risk that you won't be able to go to sea for any reason, or even that you'll be compulsorily evacuated. In the past (2007 for example when Hurricane Dean passed by) some people arriving at the Belize International Airport weren't allowed to go to the Cayes, so were unable to take up their prepaid hotel accommodation. In those circumstances the hotel WON'T refund your money, so you MUST have good trip insurance.

JSL, it is reasonable to expect that the trips will go out. The minimum of two is not a money maker but we commit to trips anyway to establish a reputation as being the people who go. Most of the time this works for us as our reputation reliability and service results in hotels and businesses in the community. The exception is when it is too windy (today there was a small craft caution which while our boats can handle it, it is hard on the people so we cancelled even though we had enough people to send out two boats).
It is reasonable to expect to get some dives in, especially if you are here for two weeks.
And yes, Patty is a very nice woman!!!!!!!
Regards
Ralph

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom