Placencia questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A2thaK

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Heading down to Placencia for the first time in a few days. Based off all the comments I have read on here, we are planning on diving with Splash. I have a few questions:

1. We are staying at a private villa on the beach up the peninsula closer to the mainland from town. Is there any shore diving to play around with? I am debating bringing my own gear, due to luggage and weight issues. If no shore diving, I'm not sure if I will. I may just bring mask, computer, snorkel and fins, but I really can't decide. Any thoughts?
  2. Does Splash have 100 tanks? My wife has equalizing issues and blows a bunch of air trying to get down to depth.
  3. Is 3mm wetsuit good?
  4. What is the best place for checking the weather for Placencia?
  5. I've heard there could be bad mosquitos in the jungle. Has anyone done the jungle/cave tubing and can comment on the bugs?
  6. Does anyone have a recommended fishing guide? Looking to chase some bonefish and tarpon with fly rods.
Thanks

I can help with some of your questions.

1) There is no shore diving. The reefs are at least a 45 minute boat ride away. The beaches on the west side of Placencia are great....nice and sandy. You can also rent a canoe or kayak and paddle around the mangroves on the east side.

2) Splash has 100 l tanks.....just ask in advance.

3) My wife and I were both fine in 3mm shorties.

4) I usually just use Google and see what comes up. When we were there we had a mixed bag of sun and cloud with light winds.....always hot though. We did get one tropical rain storm one evening. That's when you find out why all the windows have shutters.

5) We didn't do the cave tubing but had no problem with mosquitoes at the jaguar reserve.

6) Can't help with this, but if no one else comes along with a recommendation just ask Patty at Splash.

Spot on answers by lofting.

About all I can add is I've been cave tubing twice, both times in the summer and neither time had any bug issues. As far as the jungle, it depends on where and when you go. Tons of them at Altun Ha by the lake the one time we went there. Same was true for Lubaantun. Lots around Hopkins along the Sittee River. None on the beach. Never had an issue with them at Cockscomb Basin. Every year I take bug repellent with me to the jungle and usually but not always bring it back unopened.

Btw, Ralph, who is Patty's other half and co-owner of Splash, claims the only mosquitos in Belize are trained to hang around the BZ City Airport parking lot and to bite only the tourists.

Thanks for the info. One more question: Maya air states that the carryon must fit on my lap. Is that accurate? So will I have to pay for a second checked bag if my carryon is a rollerbag?

That's pretty accurate. The plane is small and when full, which is usually the case, you'll feel like a sardine in a can.

I check both my big bag (scuba gear) and roller bag. I do carry on my satchel bag because it fits in my lap.

But I've never been charged for checking both bags and never been hassled about the weight of either one.

Downing is correct. Maya Island to my knowledge has never charged for extra luggage - if you brought it from outside the country, even if you had to pay extra on your flight to Belze, you will not be charged for extra bags.

That's pretty accurate. The plane is small and when full, which is usually the case, you'll feel like a sardine in a can.

I check both my big bag (scuba gear) and roller bag. I do carry on my satchel bag because it fits in my lap.

But I've never been charged for checking both bags and never been hassled about the weight of either one.

for bugs take ultrathon by 3M. best way to check the weather is stick your head outside.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom