Placement of accessories

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Joyinthewater

Registered
Reaction score
I recently switched to a backplate and wing and I'm trying to get streamlined and get rid of the dangles.
I'm working on getting pockets. My 7ml doesn't have them. Does anyone know of any websites or info with suggestions of options of where and how to put accessories where they are contained but accessible? These would include things like my lights, compass, SMB, lift bag, GoPro, snorkel, lobster bag, etc even my Octo though I'm currently trying the long hose set up. Thank you!

octo on bungee necklass
SMB: attached to the butt D-Ring
Compass. on your arm?
Lights: on the harness along the straps and attached to the chest D-Rings

the rest: pockets.

My backup lights clip to the shoulder d-rings, run down by the rib cage and are held in place with a piece of bike tube on the webbing.

Compass goes on my arm above one of my computers. Long arms help with having real estate for both. Short arms it gets pretty crowded. I have seen some divers tie the compass to a bolt snap and clip it off on a shoulder when not in use.

SMB/Lift bag either goes in a mesh pocket I have attached to the bottom of my plate. Spool clips to the tail d-ring or gets stuffed inside the mesh bag. You could even mount the bag on the side of the plate if you choose. I know a few divers who have it mounted there.

GoPro, goes with my wife on a stick that is clipped to one of her shoulder d-rings when not in use. I carry a DSLR.

Snorkel goes in the bottom of the gear bag or stuffed in a pocket on the waist band when teaching. I have to have one on me, not wear one.

Lobster bag clips to a hip d-ring with a bolt snap and is rolled up and stuffed in the waist band during entry.

Oct goes under the chin on a bungee. If you're using a 'conventional' setup, try a few of the commercial holders and clip it to the right shoulder d-ring. I've used a figure 8 snorkel keeper before Some people will add a second d-ring just to clip the octo off on.

Using a drysuit with pockets or even a wetsuit with pocket shorts changes where I put things a bit.

Last edited:
Some backplates have room for an SMB or lift bag between the plate and your back. A sort of flat pouch. MC Storage Pak - Halcyon Dive Systems

Personally I use pockets, either on my drysuit or on shorts when wearing a wetsuit. My SMB and reel are too big for that so get clipped on somewhere, usually a chest d-ring. For a GoPro I use a goodman handle sort of thing so it usually is on my hand - I have a p clip on it so I can clip it to a d-ring if necessary.

In addition to shorts with pockets, you can get pockets that go on your harness belt. Dive Rite makes a nice one. I have the Halcyon bellows pocket. It has bungees inside. I keep my SMB and spool in it, as well as a slate.

Lights on your harness, compass on your wrist, the rest in pockets on your exposure protection or harness. I'm really liking the Halcyon weighted-bellows-pocket for recreational dives. If I needed two pockets when diving wet, I'd go for the neoprene shorts before gluing the pockets onto the suit.

Last edited:
Technical training would help you get your rig all properly squared away, including accessories.

Thigh pockets are the de-facto solution. Most tech divers out their primary use stuff in one pocket and their emergency/contingency/redundant gear I the other.

Pockets are glued/sewn to your exposure protection. Bellows pockets will swallow all necessary gear.

There's 1-2 loops of bungee inside each pocket. Every item is attached with a boltsnap and clipped onto the bungee. That way you lose nothing.

Items sometimes NOT put into pockets are:
Backup torches clipped to shoulder D-rings and secured with bungee loops around the shoulder strap.

DSMB+Reel - clipped to rear crotch D-ring

DSMB can also be stowed on the back plate itself: some pep less use specific plate sleeves, or you can out 2 loops of bungee at the bottom of the plate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom