Place near Houston to try equipment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JnJ

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello ScubaBoard,

My wife and I are looking at purchasing some new dive gear. We have 1st/2nd stage regulators, fins, mask and some skins/wetsuits. We do not enjoy the traditional jacket style BCD and were contemplating back inflate or BP/W style BCDs. In case the question comes up: We travel to dive locations, always warm water, usually 30m max depth. The problem we are faced with is the common response we see of "try before you buy".

If your LDS doesn't carry what you are looking for, what is the best way to try new equipment? Also, how active are the dive groups in the Houston area as I think that may be a good way to meet new people and get more opinions on equipment and what works for different people?

Thanks for your responses.

JnJ

look for B.A.D.dies (Bay Area Divers) and C.H.U.M. (I don't remember what it stands for. :) ) www.chumclub.org

They both appear to be fairly active. I suspect you could get involved and test out different configs at one of their social dives.

Hello Jnj:

We have a variety of diverite and xDeep plates and wings and also the xDeep stealth sidemount bcd that we allow prospective buyers to tryout at the local lake whenever we are there.

For example, a lot of people like the travel oriented xDeep ghost, but are hesitant to buy one due to the radically innovative design. So this program works out well for them. You do have to pay for tanks and weights and anything else you need.

Just come to the shop, sign the liability paperwork and we meet you at the lake where you can use them.

So far, this has worked out well for both the customer and the shop. We only ask that if you do buy one of the systems that you buy from us. Also, when people buy a plate and wing we go out with them the first time or two, at no cost, to make sure that it is set up and configured correctly with respect to the harness, weights, and wing. Since we sell major items at the same price as the internet, you don’t have to worry about paying inflated dive shop prices.

We have a number of other customer loyalty program which you can read about on our website.

Check out Gigglin Marlin in Houston.
Address: 4502 Almeda Rd, Houston, TX 77004
Phone: (281) 445-3483

They have an indoor salt water pool, and sell a variety of back inflates and wings if I remember correctly. I don't know what they have available for testing, but a phone call should give you the information you want. I have used their pool several times for skills practice with my grandson, and the staff seems knowledgable and friendly. Good luck.

Yep, we (CHUM) have a broad cross-section of divers with a variety of experience levels and all sorts of equipment. There's a monthly meeting this Thursday at Jake's on Chimney Rock and several dive outings coming up over the next few weeks. All of those are great ways to meet other divers and talk equipment / travel / etc. As txgoose mentioned, you can find out more at www.chumclub.org.

(And it looks like you've found us and posted there. Hope to meet you in person soon!)

Check out Gigglin Marlin in Houston.
Address: 4502 Almeda Rd, Houston, TX 77004
Phone: (281) 445-3483

They have an indoor salt water pool, and sell a variety of back inflates and wings if I remember correctly. I don't know what they have available for testing, but a phone call should give you the information you want. I have used their pool several times for skills practice with my grandson, and the staff seems knowledgable and friendly. Good luck.
I've never dove with them, but I've heard nothing but good things about Gigglin' Marlin. My wife's uncle used to dive with them a lot. He passed away from cancer a couple years back. I would loved to have gotten the chance to dive with him.

Where in Houston?

Oceanic Ventures is a great shop. Just relocated to Newcastle/Bissonnett and they could give you some good advice and have what you are wanting to look at, from back inflate BCDs to BP and wings. I'm sure you could try whatever you want at the pool or up at Blue Lagoon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom