Place for Scary movie producton (RUS)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

АлександрД

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
This place is old open-pit phosphor ore mine.
From Moscow around 70 km to the east.
Most interesting here - pH of that water near 4 - it real acid :)
it is true! See, how looks my regulator after the dive:
P1080996.JPG
It became clean! no oxides or salt :) Even chrome goes out from hose connector.

18 min video from that place:

Depth .. till the muddy layer - around 8 m. In the mud pits - around 15m, but we was affraid to go there till bottom :)
Visibility - up to 15m

NO FISHES here :) Just underwater spider (Diving bell spider), sludge worms (Tubifex tubifex) and many of predaceous diving beetles (Dytiscidae)

some views:
i-2356.jpg

s-2352.JPG

s-2378.JPG

s-2406.JPG

Camera operator (it his first movie in his life :) )
h-2591.jpg

and me
s-2380.JPG

Yes, first dive I make there with normal mask and standard regulator with mouthpiece
Once I take it off from my mouth.... after the dive was need for me over half hour and 200ml of wisky to remove taste of this water from my mouth....
Taste... like mixed lemon acid, iron rust and bind up taste, like from green Diospyros.
Next dive I gonna with FFM
IMG_3531.jpg

Better you than me! Did you glow afterwards? :D

It was in September - temperature on the graph.
Approx. 13 degree C (55F)

h-2421.jpg

Such profile just repeat bottom profile.
It looks like a wash board - long peaks, at the 1-2m, and long notches up to 8m at the mud layer, and deeper (around 15m).

Yikes... it etched the chrome off your hose fitting!!?! You better protect your skin!

I think, it was not acid impact itself, but I suspect it was halvanic effect, that makes galvanic couple in the acid environment... also it was not very good initial coating, I think.
But looks disturbingly, agree :)
As I told above - pH was around 4 (I take some probes at home and used litmus is an indicator)
Half of us used just wet suits, and only me for second visit use FFM, all others used normal masks. Nobody had anything wrong after. Hairs on head, noses where it was, eyes looks good. :)

Question: what's the composition of the "mud"?
It looks to me more like some sort of salt in solution, that is dense enough to form a layer on the bottom...

Back
Top Bottom