pissed right now...grrr

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well I'm actually in Sharm now, wish I had just stayed in Dahab since I don't like this place too much (massive tourist trap and a clone of 1000 other party places around the globe). I have a fever (100.9) but feel good and the block seem to be getting better. Unfortunately I fly out of Sharm day after and I have to make this flight, I bought some Afrin as well, keeping my fingers crossed.

It is definitely a good idea to see an ENT to be sure you don't have more serious issues going on. One thing that helps me are the Neil Med sinus rinses. I usually start them a couple of days before diving vacations and continue daily through the dive days. You can pretty much do the rinses as much as you need and they definitely help clear everything out and make equalization easier. I had struggled since my open water training due to narrow eustachian tubes. I have since had sinus surgery that helped a little, but the sinus rinses have allowed me to continue to enjoy diving without issues. It is definitely a good idea to avoid the use of decongestants for all the risks already mentioned. Contrary to what you have been told regular ibuprofen WILL help. It's anti-inflammatory effects can help reduce swelling and make equalization easier. Talk to your doctor about specific dosing regimens as they will be greater than standard dosing. Hope this helps and best of luck.

Use psuedophedrine LONG-ACTING. If you use the take every 4-6 hour stuff it might wear off before the end of your diving. Very important is to have taken at least one dose on a different day so you don't have an adverse reaction to the medicine.

Another thing that works quickly is 'afrin' or 'neosynephrine' nasal spray. Just don't use for more than a few doses.

Tough decision, but the right one to abort the dive.

I'm speaking (off the record of course) as a physcian assistant, former airline pilot, and long time sinus sufferer.

Loratadine is an antihistamine and a very bad idea due to drying effects => can turn secretions into glue making it impossible in some cases for the body to be able to sweep them out = equalization impossible until the side effect wears off = nightmare.

Advil will do nothing to help clear your ears. You should try Sudafed (or generic equivalent) for that. I wouldn't take it all the time but for a one day event, and especially one this important, it might have helped.

The active ingredient in Sudafed can have an adverse effect on blood pressure. So can the mentioned-later-in-this-thread Afrin.

Aphrin always works for me. Have had to rely on it a few times to be able to work....available in all good egyptian pharmacies :wink:

@rk288, that is interesting... the stuff I took was a Loratadine/Pseudoephedrine combo. Do you think perhaps I made my situation worse because of the Loratadine?

Dehydration (or just not drinking enough) causes congestion combined with the really dry air (ok so weather currently isnt exactly normal).

Pseudoephedrine before a dive like that isn't good and is potentially dangerous. Rebound and reverse block could screw up further diving. If you're still in Dahab then go to the Blue House Thai and ask for whatever meal you want spicy. That'll clear any congestion guaranteed!

This is absolutely correct. If you have "day after" issues with your ears, you need to pay attention to your hydration. Also, something I learned in military altitude physiology from doing chamber flights is to do a lot of valsalva maneuvers (pinch nose and blow softly against it to lightly pop your ears) both after the dive and during the night if you wake up. The denitrogenation process can cause tissue issues (ha!) and can lead to slow ears. "Exercising" your ears can mitigate this.

So, from someone that has similar issues. Hydrate and valsalva after every dive. Valsalve several times per hour but do it carefully so you don't damage anything.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom