Piscataqua River

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

petrieps

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Looking for a buddy to dive The Piscataqua River and Portsmouth Harbor with. Portsmouth Scuba has a nice chart showing the dive sites. We could try for some old bottles or a scallop dive from shore.

I dive it often in the winter as a plan B when Nubble is blown out. I have dove it enough to be acquiring a healthy respect for it - namely the wicked tidal longshore currents you can encounter anywhere at anytime in either direction. Make sure that you have a buddy that knows what he/she is doing if you plan on going out into the channel. I still consider myself to be in the learning process. I do postings here in the winter but it is usually simple, shallow shore dives just to stay tuned up. Go see Jay at Portsmouth Scuba. I think he was the one that spotted most of those dive sites on the map and he may be able to give you some tips.

Thanks for the advice Old Flounder. The more I learn about the Piscataqua the more challenging it sounds. I think the appeal is in the challenge though. I am planning on checking out Portsmouth Scuba, I'm hoping they can give me some info on any charters that run regularly in the area as well.

To the best of my knowledge there aren't any regular charters out of the Portsmouth-York area. I think it is because of the unpredictable ocean/weather and the lack of diving tourists. Most of us locals are cheap and get our "fix" on shore dives or have a friend with a boat. There are several deep sea fishing operators in this area that will take you out on a charter but they need to be set up in advance. Your best bet for "regular" charters that might come up this way would be out of Cape Ann.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom