Pirate ship Whyda found off Cape Cod

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I grew up summering on Cape Cod about 1/2 mile from the Whydah site. I could see the Vast Explorer 100 yards off shore recovering Whydah artifacts. I wish Barry luck but the Treasure may long be gone because when the Whydah wrecked it was basically on the beach. Its only now with the passage of time and erosion that it sits 100 yards off shore in 30 feet of water. Its my belief it was pillaged long,long ago.

BUT EVEN WITHOUT TREASURE HE WAS SITTING ON MILLIONS IF HE ACTED SOONER

In my Opinion Barry missed the boat (no pun intended) . He had a monopoly on this pirate thing from the beginning and his Museum should have been a traveling one especially around the time Pirates of the Caribbean was released. He could have made a small fortune. Then with the merchandising and the possibilities of theamed bars and restaurants he could have capitalized greatly on his find. Instead he choose to burry his finds in a small Museum in P Town Mass. 99% of the people i talk to never heard of the Whydah and some don't even believe me when i tell them the story.

Now this guy with only 1 authentic pirate item opened a Pirate bar,restaurant,and museum and is kicking *** Pirate Soul- the largest and the most authentic collection of Pirate Artifacts under one roof. Its an unbelievable place. I went there last year and the people working there never even heard of the Whydah ( what does that tell ya)

Hey Ron,

If you are a pirate buff, you might be interested in a project I was on a few years back. Working with Barry, we were on St. Marie off the coast of Madagascar. It is known as pirate island because it was a big stronghold for pirates working the Indian Ocean. There was pirate symbols everywhere. The cemetery was especially interesting with all the skulls and crossbones that were still present on the gravestones.

Very interesting place.

Layne

Can you post some more info about the site on the board? I would be extremely interested. Thanks.

Pat Croce is the former president of the 76's bball team among a ton of other things. Now, he opened that restaurant/museum down in Key West and you're right, he's kicking butt.

I don't know if he has the employees up to date about pirates, but I'd drop them a line and let him know. If you work there, you outta be knowlegable about your wares.

If you are interested, I will be teaching my underwater archaeology workshop at Aquarena Springs this fall. Eric P is trying to set up dates now so hopefully I will have something firmed up soon..

Layne

Layne,

are you teaching the NAS class I inquired about last year up in the St. Lawrence? Or is this a class you have developed. I love history, and that would be the capper for me, to actually dive on a ship as a scientific/historical dive member.

Jack

Layne,

are you teaching the NAS class I inquired about last year up in the St. Lawrence? Or is this a class you have developed. I love history, and that would be the capper for me, to actually dive on a ship as a scientific/historical dive member.

Jack

This is just a class I put together. it is based on this curriculum which comes from a variety of sources.

I have a M.A. in underwater archaeology from Texas A&M University.

Layne,
Do students have to have the Scientific Diver cert for your course or is it classroom only? Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom