Pinnacle Polar vs. Bare Alpine

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FishDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Does anyone have experience with both of these suits? How do the Bare seals, particularly the entry zipper seal, compare with the Pinnacle?

The Alpine is considerably less expensive and I have been pleased with my current Bare Velocity.

One of my dive buddies has a Pinnacle Polar. I have not dove with the Polar, and all my comments are based on my observations, opinions, and the opinion of my dive buddy. He is a hearty fellow who dives year round in the midwest and has even done ice diving with it (brrr.). It is a great looking suit, and the wrist seals and ankle seals appear to be top notch. He reports that with this suit, water seaps in very slowly. This is in comparison with a 7mm Farmer John combo that he used to use.

Now, for my experience...
I went through this comparison recently as I was trying to extend my diving season by an extra month in the spring and fall. I chose the Bare Alpine over the internet, sight unseen. I had been very happy with my Bare hood (which I had combined with my Akona 7mm full) and that factored in my decision. I don't really care for the Bare gloves. The zipper seal on the Bare Alpine suit is stellar. I can't identify any seepage through this zipper. I got a great fit with the Bare wetsuit. Thanks to the hooded design, there is no water trickling down my back. Also, on a hot day, I can wait for the very last minute to pull the hood over my head. I can even choose to gear up, start my dive with the hood off, and put the hood on underwater.

As far as the wrist seals go, they aren't as nice as the Pinnacle. It is a ~1" flap of thin neo with skin material that meets your skin. The ankle or calf seals are the same, only larger. The flaps are about 6" up from the end of the sleeve. However, I recently started using the Henderson Gold Core 7mm gloves (recommended elsewhere on this board). The skin-in material forms such a good seal with my hand and wrist (I wear the golves over the sleeve of my wetsuit), that I don't notice seepage there at all. I thought I was getting a dry-suit trype squeeze on my hands during a recent dive to 99feet. My lower legs and feet do get some water movement. I'm guessing that I could get a pair of 7mm Henderson Gold Core boots to try to reduce seepage at the ankle cuff, but my Henderson Octo boots fit so well into the foot pockets of my fins that I'm in no rush to change them. Maybe in November, I'll be singing a different tune.

Also, regarding entering/exiting the suit...
My buddy with the Pinnacle Polar often needs help getting the hood up where he can grab it and pull it over his head. There is also one extra step to getting this suit on due to the neck seal. Not to mention that the zipper location makes it so that a dive buddy needs to help you zip-up. The Bare Alpine is very easy to get on, but sometimes difficult to remove. I can get it off on my own with some minor contorsion, but it is a lot easier if my dive budy can pull the top of the suit down over my shoulders.

As far a suit quality, that is one of the reasons I went with Bare. After a year of use, the Bare hood I bought when I got certified was in the best shape out of my whole neoprene outfit. Search the board for other comments regarding quality if it will be a factor in the decision. I like that the Bare suit has full 7mm arms and legs vs. the 5mm extemities on the Polar.

Also, regarding the wool. Do this test. Buy a pair of Merino wool socks. Put them on beneath your dive boots. Do a cold dive, like 50 deg F, with them. If your feet are noticably warmer, then maybe there is something to it.After you've tried this, let me know the results. I tried this, and I ended up with the Bare suit...hmmm what's that tell you? My opinion on the wool is that when the suit is dry, the wool has air in it. Now, you start the dive, and that air compresses as you drop down, and the suit has to suck water in to relieve the pressure difference. But you just spent $400-500 (twice the price of the Bare Alpine) on a suit with some really great seals. You're trying to keep the water out, to minimize the exchange of water.

One other suit you may want to consider if the whole wool debate is just too much for you is the Pinnacle Edge. It is a full 7mm suit on all extremeties, no wool. Sounds like the Bare Alpine, right? But wait...It also has the great wrist and ankle seals that the Polar has. Its you dime

Any specific questions regarding the Alpine, let me know.

I got mine at www.DiversDiscountFlorida.com ($199)

Fishdiver, have you made a choice yet? I'm surprised that no Pinnacle owners have chimmed in...

harmeyes:
Fishdiver, have you made a choice yet? I'm surprised that no Pinnacle owners have chimmed in...

I'm surprised too.

I ordered the Alpine and received it a few weeks ago. It is not marketed as a semi-dry, but seems to function well. The integated hood is a big help and the front zip eliminates the cold water down the back of the spine syndrome. In fact, Bare has an unadvertised extra layer of neo on the spine area. It is close to 10 mm thick along the spine.

The zip makes the suits very easy to don. The only downside is that if I move my head up and down underwater water will leak in around my chin. The hood vents work well-no need to poke holes in brand new neoprene!

Fo what I paid for this suit (about US $210) it performs well and I am very satisfied. In my current location the water gets down to 16C, about 60F, in winter and stays at that temp for about 4 months. Locals seem to either tough it out in their 5mm suits, wear semidrys, or wear drysuits year around. I did not want to fool with a dry zipper in a wet suit or deal with the complexity of a dry suit for 60F water. For me, the Alpine appears to fit the bill for a small amount of cash.

I just got a 3mm Elastoprene with their new neck closure design from Leisure Pro and it is much more comfortable than the old design. Less of a lump behind your neck, due to a smaller top tab and less velcro. They advise the new design is trickling out to stores now. The ML is a perfect fit, I used to have a Breaker but wanted the stretch material.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom