Piedmont Diving Rescue Association 50th Anniversary

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Garth

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
On June 2nd, 2013 a diving club known as the Piedmont Diving Rescue Association came together to celebrate their 50th Anniversary. I am telling you all about this now because I am an extremely proud member of this club and want to highlight how wonderful it is to be a part of such a dive club.

June 2nd was a celebration of the 50th Anniversary of the Piedmont Diving Rescue Association or the PDRA which is located in North Carolina and who own three quarries; JMR (James M. Robertson), Lake Norman Quarry in Mooresville, NC, and American in Salisbury, NC.

A time capsule was buried by the members on the 25th Anniversary and the other day we opened the time capsule. The memories were shared by the members who were there when it was locked up. Its kind of an interesting story because it was locked up in the old dynamite locker on the property from when the Quarry was still in operation.

The quarry was leased in the beginning for $1. I'll let that sink in... :-O

As time went on the organization was able to purchase the land and quarry of JMR as well as two other quarries. If you are in North Carolina you really ought to try to make it to one of these Quarries as they are extremely fun to dive and great it they are minutes away like the Lake Norman one is to me.

On June 2nd I captured a great deal of footage and wanted to share some of it with you. If you are in North Carolina living you should really become a member because 24/7/365 access to these quarries for the least amount of money I've ever heard of is a great deal. What a great group of people too. I think there is somewhere in the range of 1,300 members.

Watch if you want as they do get a bit long. :) The first video is of a dive I did at the quarry where the event took place.

Part 1: PDRA 50th Anniversary Celebration Part1 on Vimeo

Part 2: PDRA 50th Anniversary Celebration 2.1 on Vimeo

Part 3, 4, 5, & 6 are still cookin' it was a long wonderful day!

Cheers,
Garth McClune PDRA Member 50th Anniversary Logo.jpgPDRA Logo (new).jpg

I tried to join last year but I never received a reply to my attempt to join on the website.

I tried to join last year but I never received a reply to my attempt to join on the website.

Try again. Last year was the first year they sold them online from their website and there were kinks. It took me a few times for it to go through.

It's good to go now. :)

Oh by the way I have nothing to gain from all this. I don't get anything from PDRA other than enjoyment of diving and fun.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom