pictures of sealions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jim Ernst

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
i just got back from five days in the channel islands !! great trip!!! i have for almost two years now been trying to get some pictures of sealions, and well i finally did it, as a matter of fact i have about 50 to 100 pix, this trip was a photo boat put on by dolphin scuba center in sacramento. we had a pro on the boat and taught us a bit of stuff!! anyway i found out how hard it is to get good shots of these guys even when they are all over you, and they were, i had one come up on my shoulder and look in my mask and one that even grabbed me by my head , alittle unearving but it was fun , one grabbed my camera strobe on several occasions, the speed of these guys made a lot of differance in the apeture and shutter speed that was necessary to use to get the differant shots, i also was blessed with some of the best vis i have ever been in 60 pluse feet of vis,. anyhow i just thought id share the fun of this trip and show off a couple pictures and there are many more in my gallery, opinions and advice are welcome of coures. thanks in advance:D

My Rescue instructor just came home from a trip to Canada, and he had similar stories to tell -- sea lions nibbling on the strobes and the connecting cords, biting their fins, and a couple of guys coming home with marks on their heads from being "tasted".

Love your pictures, particularly the head-on one with the chain. Thanks for sharing them.

very nice Jim, looks like one is biting fleas

dlndavid:
very nice Jim, looks like one is biting fleas
lol!!! biteing somthing besides me for once anyway, just kidding as when they did chew on me they were very gental, it seems as if they new they could hurt me if they wanted to!!

they can be very very curious I've heard, glad they don't bite hard.

dsafanda:
Very nice. Thanks for sharing.

I've been trying for two years to get decent photos of the seals in Monterey. They're so fast! Still no luck.
thats the same problem i was having, the ones in monterey are just not very nice i guess , as i have tried over and over, i got a bunch of good harbor seal shots in monterey but not sea lions!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom