Pictures of Bailout/Stage rigging

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Garth

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I will attach photos of my current setup for bailout/stage tank. I find a lot of threads discussing this and i feel a picture paints a thousand words. If you want to describe what, and why you configure a certain way feel free to post a photo plus description.

Here goes. You will find my setup uses a ring and two 1 inch webbing buckles in addition to two hose clamps around the bottle. I have an upper and lower P clip. I also leave about 4 fingers between bottle and lower clip. The lower clip goes to the buttplate and a bungee wraps around the valve. I recently bought my bungee from DiveSeekers. They have the best bungee deal on the net that I can find.

I don't know if my setup will stay like this but I've had it this way for about 2 years. I like not having anything around the neck so its easier to manage a bungee when I side mount my bailout… What do you do??

I did not come up with this if your wondering. I used someone else's. I remember seeing this from Sudge on CaveDiver.net

Thanks
bailout 1.jpegbailout.jpeg

For bailout I just use standard sidemount configuration. It works out well. I did have to make some modifications to my Spirit rig because its design requires a specific wing be used.

Here's a shot from today. First time in saltwater with this rebreather and I was trying to get the weighting right for trim. Bottom of the cylinder is a little too high but some changes were made to fix that.

IMG_4022.jpg

For stage rigging I use this - Sidemount Stage Rigging « Rob Neto

For bailout I just use standard sidemount configuration. It works out well. I did have to make some modifications to my Spirit rig because its design requires a specific wing be used.

Rob, do you have a standard length on the bottom p clip? Was that what you changed to lower the butt of the tank?

At one point I shortened the bungee under my arm so that the cylinder was further back with success. I'm still trying to figure out what I like.

I've been looking at your setup for at least 6 mo and like the simplicity. Do you use racing/street bike tubing to cover your hose clamps?

Thanks for your replies,
Garth

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Here's a shot from today. First time in saltwater with this rebreather and I was trying to get the weighting right for trim. Bottom of the cylinder is a little too high but some changes were made to fix that.

View attachment 178282

I'm thinking of adding a butt-plate to my Spirit LTE to get the bottom of the bailout lower. The unit I was using in training felt like the bailout was almost perpendicular instead of parallel.

1013206_10202835500670353_235904147_n.jpg

I'm thinking of adding a butt-plate to my Spirit LTE to get the bottom of the bailout lower. The unit I was using in training felt like the bailout was almost perpendicular instead of parallel.

1013206_10202835500670353_235904147_n.jpg

I would recommend a bungee at the neck like what Rob is using. It will bring the head and neck up under your shoulder. By doing this it will naturally bring the butt down without even adding the buttplate. Then! Add the buttplate for even better trim.

If the valve of your bailout isn't directly in or below the armpit the tank will be "perpendicular."

Thanks
Garth

Garth

---------- Post added February 23rd, 2014 at 07:17 PM ----------

Oh and once the tank valve is in your armpit you will find that you can easily tuck you reel and SMB on you belt or even on the butt plat so that's not dragging or out hanging.

Garth

Yeah, I didn't like the dangly bits. It wasn't my unit, when I get my unit tomorrow I'll make the changes I want to make to keep things from dangling and to let me mount a can light, etc.

i like the bungee idea. I'm going to give that a shot!!

Yeah, I didn't like the dangly bits. It wasn't my unit, when I get my unit tomorrow I'll make the changes I want to make to keep things from dangling and to let me mount a can light, etc.

i like the bungee idea. I'm going to give that a shot!!

One thing I've noticed with the bungee is that some use a loop bungee and wrap around valve and this works well for position. Others clip into the bungee but unless you have something that brings the valve into the bungee like a choker it does nothing for the trim of the bottle.

I didn't like the chokers so I do the loop around the valve.

Garth

Last edited:

No need for a butt plate. I bought a tailplate for my rig. The AL80s do fine on the waste strap but the steels need to be clipped farther back. The tailplate did the trick.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom