Pictures of Backplate/wing modification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stvbrit

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hi, I'm looking to find some pictures of sidemount configurations using standard backplates and wings, how are the wings actually sandwiched between the divers back and the backplate itself, how is this rigged? Anyone who cares to share photos of their kit, and any links on the net would be appreciated, thanks.

Hi, I'm looking to find some pictures of sidemount configurations using standard backplates and wings, how are the wings actually sandwiched between the divers back and the backplate itself, how is this rigged? Anyone who cares to share photos of their kit, and any links on the net would be appreciated, thanks.
You're trying to shove a round peg into a square hole.

I typically wouldn't post advice in the SM forum due to my limited experience, but I think I'm trying to get as close to BM as possible, so perhaps I can be of some help. Please realize that I'm still new at this. My motivation is cave access. I don't care (at all) to dive SM in OW, or backmount cave, so it's a fairly purpose driven rig. Even floating on the surface is hard, it wants to push you face down really bad.

Backplates are going to keyhole you in a tight spot, it's really better to start your thinking over again with SM.

I just took 2 plates that a friend who works at dive rite cut for me. The webbing is one solid piece (including crotch strap).
30144_597294047795_201400707_34810146_4910186_n.jpg

30144_597294052785_201400707_34810147_7891922_n.jpg

A few changes since those pics:
I had to add bungee across the chest strap to keep the tanks from pulling the shoulder straps apart. Also the low profile drings are a PITA. Adding retainers to hold the wing further forward were necessary as well.

With a wetsuit, I'm slightly feet heavy. Diving LP85's because they're light and redundant buoyancy isn't as much of an issue. Diving dry, it's comfy, but more cluttered than backmount. I'm only at a few dozen SM dives now, but I'd never sidemount where backmount is an option.

Where's my speed square? Next to the toothbrush, where else would it be?

James,

Looks interesting - a bit like a Razor and Nomad hybrid!?

I've been using a similar set-up with the Razor harness and a modified hydration bag as a BC, mounted vertically under the harness. The big problem I have is a lack of confidence in the hydration bag when it comes to leaks or punctures. I'd like to have another option for the BC, although I'm looking for something designed more with warm water and aluminium tanks in mind.

There's a few of us using the Razor set-up had the same heavy feet problem, most have solved this by lowering the BC or mounting it horizontally just above the hips - this is a lot easier when using the modified hydration pack and bungees but it's hard to get the BC under the harness when doing this! Using a set of recreational type plastic (or small rubber) fins helps too, it doesn't look great but it does feel much better for your trim.

Have you thought about adding additional D-rings on the belt to keep the ends of the tanks lower? I guess you're mainly be diving steel tanks so have less positive buoyancy issues on the tanks but I still think the lower profile from the Razor belt D-rings works better.

Karl

There are tons of photos here:
Photos - Videos PADI and DSAT Sidemount Scuba Diving Training Course Director Steve Martin

You could look at other course training photos too see new sm divers using a bp rig.

Not a great way to sm but at least they get some idea of what sm is like.

SangP

James,

Looks interesting - a bit like a Razor and Nomad hybrid!?

I've been using a similar set-up with the Razor harness and a modified hydration bag as a BC, mounted vertically under the harness. The big problem I have is a lack of confidence in the hydration bag when it comes to leaks or punctures. I'd like to have another option for the BC, although I'm looking for something designed more with warm water and aluminium tanks in mind.

There's a few of us using the Razor set-up had the same heavy feet problem, most have solved this by lowering the BC or mounting it horizontally just above the hips - this is a lot easier when using the modified hydration pack and bungees but it's hard to get the BC under the harness when doing this! Using a set of recreational type plastic (or small rubber) fins helps too, it doesn't look great but it does feel much better for your trim.

Have you thought about adding additional D-rings on the belt to keep the ends of the tanks lower? I guess you're mainly be diving steel tanks so have less positive buoyancy issues on the tanks but I still think the lower profile from the Razor belt D-rings works better.

Karl
In my case, I'm battling a few things.

• I'm trying to avoid using shoulder weights, as I'm already heavier than desired with a wetsuit.
  • I'm trying to avoid a dual bladder wing, because it's one more thing to disconnect if i have to take a cylinder off. As it is, I can remove one without screwing with a LP hose from an inflation source.
  • I can't use the hydration bladder because I'm diving LP85's wet, I don't think there's enough lift.
  • With only a few dozen SM dives, I don't want to start using gear to fix a skills problem.

The sidemount set-up is quite dependant on whether it's for warm water or cold water diving? Using a bigger backplate goes against a lot of the benefits sidemount gives you over back mount set-ups.

For local (Philippines) based advice by best person to speak to is Tom at Divers Network - he's the local sidemount guru!

Sidemount Training Philippines — DivingSidemount.com
PADI TDI 5 Star IDC Facility, Scuba Diving Courses / Training and Tours - caves, wrecks, rebreather, sidemount,diveph.com

In my case, I'm battling a few things.

• I'm trying to avoid using shoulder weights, as I'm already heavier than desired with a wetsuit.
  • I'm trying to avoid a dual bladder wing, because it's one more thing to disconnect if i have to take a cylinder off. As it is, I can remove one without screwing with a LP hose from an inflation source.
  • I can't use the hydration bladder because I'm diving LP85's wet, I don't think there's enough lift.
  • With only a few dozen SM dives, I don't want to start using gear to fix a skills problem.

Yep, weight would be a big problem on LP85s! The 12l hydration pack works but full Alu tanks in fresh water seem close to the limit when the pack is under the harness so can't fully inflate.

I'd still say the lighter fins would help a lot, I found the smaller lighter fins are actually better for smaller (i.e. side mount only) caves in general as silt become a much bigger issue in tighter passageways.

My worry for the hydration pack set up is the outer skin and the internal bladder are effectively the same material, a commercial BC tends to have a higher quality outer and a separate internal bladder. No one seems to produce a BC for warm water sidemount at present so there may be a big hole in the market!

Karl

I would think that you don't really need that much lift for warm water sm as guys have been using a 40lbs - 50lbs wing for doubles n tech for a while here.

If your using a 12L hydration pack why not just consider a 25lbs travel wing? I'm sure the dss 25 would do great.

Personally I went for the oxycheq mach v 30 as it's really narrow and won't taco that much but for my skeleton harness, I'm still looking for a wing that is as narrow as possible yet is wide enough around the center portion to allow the waist straps to pass through the slots.

Maybe I'll just ask if oxycheq will be willing to do a special 40 recon :)

SangP

Back
Top Bottom