Pictures of AI Transmitter Attachments

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Randallr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Thanks to fantastic guidance from dozens of SBers, I purchased my first AI dive computer, the Shearwater Teric. It’d be incredibly valuable for me to see photos of how others have attached their transmitters - a short hose seems to be favored over directly connecting to the 1st stage, but I’d love to see examples of how best to keep it safe and in the line of transmission. Also, because I’m a redundant fellow (shall I repeat that?), I plan for the time being to use my SPG as a backup. So I’d be especially interested in seeing how other folks keep it clipped, present, but out of the way.

I keep my transmitter directly attached to my 1st stage never had an issue with a crewmember using it as a handle. If someone else will be handling my gear I will remind them but I'd think they would know better. Don't want another hose and failure point.

I keep a mini spg on a thin hose run along and tucked under the left side of my BCD wing and clipped to a lower D ring. Don't even know it's there but I can read it if necessary.

Thanks to fantastic guidance from dozens of SBers, I purchased my first AI dive computer, the Shearwater Teric. It’d be incredibly valuable for me to see photos of how others have attached their transmitters - a short hose seems to be favored over directly connecting to the 1st stage, but I’d love to see examples of how best to keep it safe and in the line of transmission. Also, because I’m a redundant fellow (shall I repeat that?), I plan for the time being to use my SPG as a backup. So I’d be especially interested in seeing how other folks keep it clipped, present, but out of the way.
My transmitter is on a 4-inch hose, sticking out to the right (as I'm wearing the scuba unit). I have a receiver on both wrists...and never any dropouts, even on the off-side (left) wrist. I use the hose because I'm on lots of liveaboards that use RIBs, and the boat guy grabs the first stage and yanks it out of the water. All it takes is one bad grab....which seems more likely than a hose or o-ring failure, both of which are minor problems compared to the major problem of a broken transmitter. So, I view the hose as less likely to cause a problem, and if it does cause a problem, the problem is less severe.

Actually, see https://www.scubaboard.com/community/threads/attaching-ai-transmitter-to-the-1st-stage.571553/ and
https://www.scubaboard.com/community/threads/ai-transmitter-damage-when-directly-connected-to-1st-stage.571684/

I'm on lots of liveaboards that use RIBs, and the boat guy grabs the first stage and yanks it out of the water.

Good point. I'd make it a point to tell whoever is grabbing my tank on the way up the ladder to watch for the transmitter but even then they aren't really taking the full weight of the tank- they're just helping you up. Whats an RIB?

Ok I can see why it might be an issue with a crewmember grabbing your transmitter while hauling you onto an inflatable boat.

Ok I can see why it might be an issue with a crewmember grabbing your transmitter while hauling you onto an inflatable boat.
You take off your equipment in the water and hand it up before you board, the crew handles it. In my experience, 2 weeks in the Red Sea, a week in Cocos, and a week in Galapagos, the RIB drivers and DMs are extremely careful with their customers' equipment. I point out that I have a transmitter, I'm not sure that it's necessary. The crew are very familiar with the equipment configurations they see every day. I'll be giving this another trial in the Revillagigedos this spring.

Thanks to scubadadas post I'm back on the side where I don't think the transmitter needs to be on a hose because you usually take off your gear before climbing on an RIB (that's been my experience going back many years now that I think about it) and yeah a crew who does this every day is going to have some very unhappy divers if they're going around snapping off transmitters on a regular basis.

I dive locally on a RIB where the DM drags the gear on board but I don't worry about the transmitter because many have them now, so people generally know what it is.

The MK17Evo comes with a little metal spacer for transmitters, about 1.5cm long, to fit it below the two second stage reg hoses. On my DIN reg, the transmitter is therefore quite obscured below the two hoses, so that the tank valve is the better spot to grab anyway.

I don't think you need to worry too much about the placement, I suggest putting it on the HP port on the side you are wearing the comp, but no need to have it dangle out on a hose. If you do, use a short one so that the unit stays more compact. I wear the comp on my right wrist (I want to be able to see it whilst adjusting buoyancy, which is a left hand affair on my bp/w).

If you look at the picture and where the tank valve would be, it's a much clearer grab. If the transmitter was on the other side then it would be more at risk.

Attachments

• IMG_5592.jpg
    IMG_5592.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 148
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom