Pics from this years Quadra trip.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deepdiverbc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I found this decorator crab on my second dive. It's amazing how they use sponge and seaweed to camouflage themselves.
Quadra09%20DecoratorCrab.jpg

This one had me thinking it was a hermit sponge that takes over for the shell of a hermit crab to escape nudibranchs. If it is, the plan backfired. On second look I am now thinking it is a sharpnose crab that used sponge for camouflage and ended up with a sea lemon nudi on its back.
Quadra09%20DecoratorCrabNudi.jpg

I took two photos of this. One has the nudi in focus but for whatever reason I liked the giant barnacle shot better. The wall was covered in giant barnacles but the barnacles were also covered in blue sponge. The whole wall was blue and white and something that a close up shot doesn't do justice to. Wish I had a wide angle lense.
Quadra09%20GiantBarnacle.jpg

Heart Crab
Quadra09%20HeartCrab.jpg

Leopard Dorid
Quadra09%20LeopardDorid.jpg

Longfin Sculpin: Also a good example of the yellow sponge that covers many walls. Lot's of color on this dive.
Quadra09%20Longfin%20Sculpin.jpg

Orange Peel Nudibranch
Quadra09%20OrangePeelNudi1.jpg

Puget Sound King Crab: I touched this one on the leg after the shot. It didn't care. I don't think they have many preditors.
Quadra09%20PSKC.jpg

Quillback Rockfish: Another good example of color. This site was covered with these red strawberry anemones.
Quadra09%20QuillbackRockfish.jpg

I thought this was just a small sculpin but realized after looking at the photo that it was a juvenille Red Irish Lord.
They are so conviced you can't see them that they won't move if you get close. Great for macro photos.
Quadra09%20RedIrishLord2.jpg

This is another shot of the Red Irish Lord. It took me a while to lean to ID this fish. If you look closely you will see 4 rows of larger scales below the dorsal fin. If there are more than 4-5 rows it is a Brown Irish Lord.
Quadra09%20RedIrishLordScales.jpg

Sailfin Sculpin
Quadra09%20SailfinSculpin.jpg

Scaleyhead Sclupin: This fish reminded me a of a small dog that just doesn't understand it isn't tough. He would swim up to me and give me the face as if to say back off....my territory. LOL
Quadra09%20ScalyheadSculpin.jpg

Scaley Lithodid Crab: Including legs this guy was about a foot across.
Quadra09%20ScalyLithodidCrab.jpg

Shaprnose Crab: You might miss the female if your aren't looking closely.
Quadra09%20SharpnoseCrabMF.jpg

Wolf Eel: This guy was found at 95ft on our third dive. Both times I have found this den I only had a few minutes of bottom time left. He was HUGE. His head was about the size of a soccer ball and I would guess he would be about 8ft long if he had come out of his den. Doing a close up shot like this at 95ft it's import to remind yourself that they are not very aggressive.
Quadra09%20Wolf2.jpg

Excellent pics Deepdiver, I'm heading to C.R. this Friday. What were the names of the sites you dove, and how was the vis?

Hey there. Verticle vis was excellent, horizontal vis was between 20-40ft.

Dive sites were Middle Of The Road, Copper Cliffs, The Gulley and some others I can't recall.

To bad you couldn't have gone the same weekend as I did. Have a great trip.

FANTASTIC pics! Many thanks for posting them along with IDs. There's so many critters out there, it's great to put names to a few of them!

Looks like a great trip. I'm jealous.

Excellent pictures...you definitely had some great dives...what am I saying?...its always great diving up here:wink:

Thanks for the picture of the scaly lithodid crab! I saw one of these off Bainbridge Island last summer, and never could find anything in the books that I was convinced was what I saw. But your picture is perfect.

Back
Top Bottom