Pico de Gallo Bet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LOVE Playa Corona, holds a special place in our hearts...

I use romas, more meat, less seeds, and jalapenos. they used to use habaneros on the island (you really had to sneak up on it a small bite at a time, until you got used to the heat), but I think most have gone to Jalapenos or seranos as the Scotch Bonnets were too hot for most gringos.

pinch of sea salt brings it all around.

An, okay. Just never heard the term xnipek, though I know both versions of the salsa.
Yeah, don't see it around much. One of the guys made some a couple of times. Yum.

Thanks!

Recipe for Xnipec from my favorite Mayan Recipe Book

Xnipec Recipe (salsa).jpg

Romas are sweeter than regular and beefsteak tomatoes. I like a little heat in my pico, so I remove the seeds and veins, and broil them a bit before mincing into the mix. Cilantro, a mixture of white and red onions, sometimes garlic (never out of a jar) and sea salt and lime to taste... yum.

captnpat1982 -

Thanks for posting your bet as I too have tried to figure out what the trick is as well. I use all the ingredients you posted for my salsa fresca. I also do NOT include any heat. I have tried Roma tomatoes, generic Red tomatoes, white onion and sweet white onion. I try to find hearty looking cilantro which here in Austin is hit or miss. I do try to use just the Cilantro leaves with minimal stem. Lime juice is fresh squeezed, however I have not tried Key Lime.

Overall, I think the taste we are looking for has a lot to do with the view, the cervasa and the moment. Hmmm....I think I have found the solution...gotta get back to Cozumel !

Good Luck capt

Double S

Last edited:
captnpat1982 -

Thanks for posting your bet as I too have tried to figure out what the trick is as well. I use all the ingredients you posted for my salsa fresca. I also do NOT include any heat. I have tried Roma tomatoes, generic Red tomatoes, white onion and sweet white onion. I try to find hearty looking cilantro which here in Austin is hit or miss. I do try to use just the Cilantro leaves with minimal stem. Lime juice is fresh squeezed, however I have not tried Key Lime.

Overall, I think the taste we are looking for has a lot to do with the view, the cervasa and the moment. Hmmm....I think I have found the solution...gotta get back to Cozumel !

Good Luck capt

Double S

Sue, I think I will take my winnings and put it in the Vacation jar and wait til the next trip. So its a win win for both the wife and I.

You win...........Roma's is best to use....Now you have to tell us WHAT you win....:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom