Picked up an AL80 Luxfer Tank **Deal**

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1967Goat

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm slowly picking up good condition used gear, mostly sourced from CL (yeah, I know). I usually only dive in warm Caribbean waters, but wanted to pick up a tank to get some pool time in locally as I am beginning to rebuild some first and second stages (MK 5/10 & Scubapro G250). I stumbled on an ad on CL the other day, tank looks brand new. I will get it hydro tested in the next few weeks.

Luxfer tank was manufactured in May 2003. Valve is stamped Nov 2002.

I got this tank, and an OK/good condition R109 and MK5 for $100 total. I think I made out OK.

20200514-105223.jpg

20200514-105251.jpg

20200514-105315.jpg

I'm slowly picking up good condition used gear, mostly sourced from CL (yeah, I know). I usually only dive in warm Caribbean waters, but wanted to pick up a tank to get some pool time in locally as I am beginning to rebuild some first and second stages (MK 5/10 & Scubapro G250). I stumbled on an ad on CL the other day, tank looks brand new. I will get it hydro tested in the next few weeks.

Luxfer tank was manufactured in May 2003. Valve is stamped Nov 2002.

I got this tank, and an OK/good condition R109 and MK5 for $100 total. I think I made out OK.

View attachment 586116

View attachment 586117

View attachment 586118
You do know that a hydro can cost $35-$40 and a visual can be $15-$20. So you paid $100 for a tank that all said and done will cost you $160 , a brand new one O2 clean ready for nitrox is $180. Not much of a deal. The mk 5 is a good regulator if you can get parts to service it. A LDS service will cost $140-$160 to service. Most likely will need new hoses if hoses ( again a cost of $35-$45 per hose ) are as old as regulator. Can be as old as 50 yrs old or more.

You did just fine especially if you are servicing your own regs. Find a shop that will give you a Hydro, Vis and fill for closer to $50.

Let's just assume you paid $50 for each. As long as the reg functions and you can get it serviced, I'd say you made out okay. Add another $50 to the tank and you've effectively spent $100 on a good condition AL80. Saved yourself $60-80 on a new one so I'd say that's a win. I found one of those too-good-to-be-true CL deals early last year myself. Tank was manufactured 2001 and had never had an air fill. Guy got it as a gift that year and never had any real interest in local diving so it sat in his garage for 18 years untouched, other than when he moved into the house. He originally was asking $20 just so someone would take it out of his garage. I met him at a local Wally World and checked it out.....not even a scratch. Gave him $30 and took it to my LDS for hydrao and vis. Another $45 later and I've got a 4th AL80 that I spent $75 that looks better than the one I bought brand new in 2016 and spent $180 for.

The nay-sayers will come. And it's possible they may be right, especially if that thing doesn't pass hydro/vis. But from the pics, I don't see any reason it wouldn't unless there's some rust inside we can't see. Hope it works out well for you!

aluminum doesn't rust and you would have to really try to corrode an aluminum tank so bad it can't be brought back into service. the one pictured is new enough to not have the 6351 alloy issue. the only caveat with used al80s is they are frequently offered for sale at cheap prices by dive shops looking to refresh their rental fleet. although the paint doesn't look as nice at that point. too bad more shops don't go for brushed.

You know those out dated regs will kill you, right? You should send them to me for proper disposal! lol
Seriously, though, if you're into DIY the MK5/109 is nice set.... just depending on the variation. Old MK5's have a 2 port turret (need a splitter if you are going to use an octo), newer (less old?) have 4 or 5 port turrets. The 109 may have any of a variety of poppets in it (3 types I've found) or been upgraded to a balanced.... so dependent on condition of soft goods and type of poppet, it's either a great score, or a good restoration candidate (decent score). If you don't DIY, you might have issues finding a shop that will service them (because that's just how shops can be), but there are plenty of independents or DIY types who could probably help you out.

Just my opinion, worth what you paid for it!

Respectfully,

James

Nicely done! As someone that has also bought a tank and reg(s) in the last couple of weeks, I think that you did well. Like many, I suspect that you will enjoy learning about rebuilding regs. You'll know your equipment. You'll learn about what the regs are actually doing. I'd say that you got an okay deal a set of gear to learn maintenance on, which was your goal. Then a free tank thrown in. I'd have happily bought it if that deal came my way.

In general I prefer to buy used over new. It's just the way I was raised. The seller wanted $60 for both regs, plus $60 for the tank. I offered $100 for everything. I think it was a fair deal for both parties.

Since I am new to buying my own equipment, I am up over $2,000 YTD on SCUBA stuff, so I need to be thrifty when I can. Now, I am buying SCUBA stuff for 3 since I am also buying gear for my 2 young boys who both have an interest in diving.

The R109 and MK 5 (4 LP & 2 HP) are in decent shape. They have some light scratches and scuffs, but that's fine with me. Just adds character! I bought 3 MK10's in 2 different deals earlier this year, and those were a little nicer, but these are definitely serviceable. This is my first 109.

Since I am into old cars as well, I really, really dig chrome. I just love the look of the chrome 108 & 109's. I also bought 4 G250V's from @buddhasummer for me and my boys. Simon is sending me 3 MK10 rebuild kits, but due to the virus the shipping is taking a while. I'm not in a rush though.

20200514-162319.jpg

20200514-162350.jpg

The R109 and MK 5 (4 LP & 2 HP) are in decent shape.
The MK5 is a heavy yoke, 5 l/p (one on the end), 2 7/16" hp ports-very nice.
The 109 also looks pretty good-needs a mouthpiece and an exhaust tee.

I think you done good.

Back
Top Bottom