Picked up a used Data plus.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mitchell Teeters

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I picked one of these up for cheap because I can't afford a high dollar system. Is there anyone out there that knows these that would be willing to give some advise? I've looked at the manual and I can't seem to get it. Any help would be appreciated.

TIA

Mitch

What do you want to know?

A few important points to start:

With only one button, you need to wait for the computer to cycle to the screen you want to deal with. If you get impatient and push a button at the wrong time, you will just be waiting until it finishes doing whatever you told it to do and then meanders back to where you wanted to be. It is never in a hurry.

Nitrox is a bit of a pain. The nitrox setting needs to be reset before each dive. To select a nitrox value, you need to release the button at the value before the one you want. That is, to set 32%, you release the button when the screen says 31.

Never plan a subsequent dive after a 12 hour surface interval. The Data + does a reset after exactly 12 hours and it does not care if you are in the middle of a back roll or trying to follow your buddy who has just stepped off the platform. Nothing you can do about it other than to plan to avoid it.

The cumulative O2 algorithm is a bit more conservative than newer Oceanic computers so don't be surprised if you see some difference. The differences are fairly small and easily managed.

It is a great computer. I now have 3 of them. My wife got the VEO200 because she wanted 2 bells and a whistle. (And I was getting tired of always having to do her nitrox settings on her Data +.)

Thanks a bunch for the info. I finally realized that I don't really set anything but the nitrox and I set that every time I will do a dive. That 12 hr thing is kinda funky. But hey for what I spent for a bottom timer its ok.

Used it last w/e, worked well for my needs. More sensitive than I thought it would be. It could see one foot differences, that is pretty cool. Thanks for the info.

Ok, how do I reset the memory so that the last diver's dives don't show? I pulled a battery out and that didn't work. TIA

Ok, how do I reset the memory so that the last diver's dives don't show? I pulled a battery out and that didn't work. TIA

Those dives will scroll off as you put your own in their place. You can't clear the dive log but your current status will be lost when you change the battery. It is a pretty good computer. A few small warts but still pretty good.

BTW, you can cause high ascent rate readings just by lifting it up quickly. So you may not want to pay to much attention to logged ascent rates.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom