PICA PICA and a Belize Trip in early May!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jenni7a

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi planning a trip to Belize the around the first week in May and have been reading some nasty things about PICA PICA! I am really worried this is going to ruin a well planned and pricey scuba trip. Would love any info on these critters.
Thanks in advance
Jenni

Um, are you talking about the European Magpie?

Euromagpie.JPG

We are planning a trip starting 4/28 and I would like to know more about these also, my wife is sensitive to stinging things and don't want to be there when these things are in full bloom either.

I've always heard about them but I've been diving here year round for 12 years and have never had a problem with them. I always wear a full wetsuit.....and now a hood. I've heard that if you wear a loose shirt or shorts, they get inside.

I've lived and dived here for 10 years - thousands of dives - and I've only been significantly stung by pica-pica once, on one single dive. Baby oil is a good way to prevent them stinging in the first place, and there are several efficacious remedies for the sting if they do get you. They're really a non-event.

This is not much, since it is just one experience, I realize:

I was there in April/May (years ago) and spent a little over a month snorkeling every day (mostly lighthouse reef, but some Glover's and some cays on the mainland reef). None of us had any problem with pica pica until the last day (natch). We were on... I think Tobacco Cay? (sorry, don't have my log with me). I was wearing my usual outfit of lycra jumpsuit/gloves and during the dive I thought I felt some stingy/itchy around my neck, but wasn't sure if I was just imagining it.

Well, I wasn't. I think it was pica pica. They did pretty much confine themselves to around my neck and a bit at the waist, so there were not TOO many welts, but they did itch ferociously, and last a long time.

We had read that if you get out and douse yourself in vinegar BEFORE you rinse with freshwater (which I guess sort of activates them), that you could nip them in the bud. However, since we had been there so long we never could have carried enough vinegar, and we were in the habit of just hoping and rinsing with fresh water (which did work 99.9% of the time :)).

In retrospect, I wish I had rinsed with vinegar THAT time because I did feel some slight stingies during the dive.

I wasn't certified then, but oh would I love to go back. "Even" the snorkeling was spectacular!!

Blue Sparkle

Thanks for the first hand information.

We were down there during pica pica time but I cant remember when that was. We all got a few little itchy spots but they went away after a couple hours excpet for one of us who must have had an allergy (still wasnt that bad). I think the best way to avoid getting stung is to put sunscreen or baby oil on the areas not covered by your wetsuit. Then if you get into them, you can use vinegar to neutralize any that might still be hanging on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom