Phuket (or...?) and a quick live aboard 3/4 - 3/12/17

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

clipgoal234

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Have been searching through the threads here and hitting a lot of dead ends - and getting a bit overwhelmed with all of the options there are. Looking for advice on 1) Where (Island, hotel, whatever) to stay and 2) What liveaboard to do for a short trip (1-3 nights) with some constraints

Flying to Phuket 3/4 (arriving 1130 am) and leaving 3/12/17.

Not married to staying exactly in Phuket. Would like a "local" experience, nice beaches (ideally with those amazing features seen in Krabi) and some fun. We just stayed in Malapascua (Philippines) and loved the low key atmosphere and chance to interact with locals. We don't hate the atmosphere of Cancun type places either, but I don't want to go across the world to stay in a sterile environment that may as well be Florida with nicer diving.

I've been trying to find a liveaboard that fits the bill...would like to do about 3 days max on the boat. It would need to leave later in the day 3/4 or on 3-5 (or any other day arriving on or before the morning of 3/12). Ideally, would have a private cabin and the opportunity to at see some of the local islands. I'd like to (based on what I've searched) make it to Richelieu and the Similans. The Manta 2 seemed to fit the bill, but leaves too early on 3/5. I'm open to being persuaded, though, in any sort of direction.

Thank you for any advice!

Manta Queen 2, leaves around 19.00 hours from Tap Lamu, I'm not sure why you call that 'too early'. Pickups from Phuket are quite early the upcoming season, but you could of course go to Khao lak after your arrival on the 4th or arrange a private transfer on the 5th if the between 1 and 3 PM pickup is too early for you.

And yes, make sure you do a trip to Richelieu Rock. Manta Queen 2 will not go to Similans though, but to Koh Bon, Koh Tachai, Richelieu Rock and the wrecks.

My mistake- I read their itinerary as 630am as they wrote it as 0630. My flight leaves 3/4 but arrives 3/5 at 1130 am, so I would miss a 6am trip. Is this the trip itinerary you'd recommend? How about where to stay? Thank you!
I just checked the other options as well. There are some good options for 4 days/4 nights I can recommend, which gives more time to see all the highlights compared to a 3 day trip.

But since you want to do a 3 day trip, I think this is your best option. In general the Manta Queen fleet caters to more inexperienced divers, but on these trip to Koh Bon, Koh Tachai and Richelieu Rock that is far less the case since the divesites are more challenging. I have quite a few experienced divers on these trips and they were happy with both diving and services provided by the boat.

So yes, I would recommend this trip for you, feel free to contact me to arrange this.

Where to stay would depend on your wishes. Do you want to stay for one night after the trip, spend multiple nights or even your whole stay there or go elsewhere after the trip? A transfer to Phuket after the trip would be available.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom